Thread poster: Tjasa Kuerpick

Tjasa Kuerpick  Identity Verified
Slovenia
Local time: 09:30
Member (2006)
Slovenian to German
+ ...
Feb 8, 2010

Do you still save your dictionaries you are specialized in in Excel? After many years of translation these files get larger and larger, and it is sometimes not easy to find the word you know that you have stored somewhere on your PC, except you use another tool like Copernic Desktop Search. But even then opening all those files is time consuming.

The best point of this free, fast and easy to use application is that you may integrate all YOUR OWN specialized dictionaries in it instead of the integrated general bilingual general dictionaries (which for the most of us are probably of no use). All you need to do is making some simple organisational steps to prepare them for the use in this application, that means saving them in text format with tabs (.txt) to which you may add for example the field a certain words is used (see example below), load them and there they are - ready to use.

For example:
zero line [tab] Nullinie [tab] /Bereich: Werkstoffe/

I tested it, it is good. I hope you like it too.

Download URL for Simple Dictionary application:

http://wareseeker.com/Home-Education/simple-dictionary-application-1.04.zip/223526
(only 1.53 MB)

Direct link Reply with quote

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Just use xbench Feb 8, 2010

I highly doubt that any such tool can match Xbench in terms of versatility, convenience and powerful search capabilities.
Xbench will take the same tab separated txt files, allow you to make projects (i.e. select which files are included in the search with what priority level) and it does regular expression search. You can launch a search with a keyboard shortcut from any software and copy the output by just pressing enter.
ApSic have really done their homework on this one, I just wish for more convenience with large files (talking about millions of items here), UTF-8 support and support for more than two languages in the same file.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Tjasa Feb 9, 2010

Tjasa Kuerpick wrote:
...except [if] you use another tool like Copernic Desktop Search. But even then opening all those files is time consuming.

With Wilbur, you don't need to open the files, because they are previewed in the program. Plus, you can switch between viewing the entire file or just the lines that match your query.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/redtree/wilbur/index.html

Interesting. I haven't downloaded it yet, but tell us a little about it? What do you think are the greatest assets of this program? What about it do you not like?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Free alternative dictionary tool to Excel

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search