Off topic: Thesis survey on CAT tools
Thread poster: lorenzo_mondini
Hello to everybody!
I'm a student at the Insubria University in Como, Italy.
At the moment i'm writing a thesis on the inluences of information technologies on the world of translation. It's an overview of the various technologies existing for translation, from machine transaltion to CAT.
In the section regarding CAT tools i would like to place a survey on the use of CAT tools by translator and i would be really grateful if you could answer to it.
It consist of 27 general questions about CAT tools. The most of the questions are multiple choice and if you don't find an answer that satisfy your opinion you're free to add it in the "Other" answer.
You can answer at the survey by quoting this message or by opening and modyfing the word file at the below link and e-mailing it to the address that you will find inside.
Every comment, critique and suggestion is extremely appreciated, also if you want to suggest other question that you think should be included in the survey.
Thank you very much in advice! I really appreciate it!
p.s. I'm not sure that this is the right section.
Link to the Word file:
1. Mother tongue:
2. Country/ies where you completed your studies:
3. Country where you are currently working:
4. Working language pairs:
5. Which category of translator are you?
□ Freelance □ Company employee □ Translation agency employee
6. How long have you been working as a translator?
□ 10 years
7. Which kind of translation do you make most?
□ Technical/Scientific □ Legal □ Commercial □ Marketing
□ Literature □ Software localization □ Web pages □ Other:
8. How do you consider your computer use competence?
□ Sufficient □ Good □ Very good
9. Which operating system do you use during your translation work?
□ MS Windows □ Mac OS □ GNU/Linux □ Other:
10. How long have you been using CAT tools?
□ 10 years
□ I don’t use CAT tools (if you pick this answer, please skip to question 28)
11. For which reason did you start using CAT tools?
□ They make easier my job □ They make me save time
□ It was a request of the company/agency I work for □ It was a request from clients
12. Which CAT systems do you currently use? (If you use more than one software pick the most used)
13. Which kind of license it has?
□ Free □ Pay
□ Open Source □ Not Open Source
14. For which reasons did you start using this software?
□ Is the most used □ Is the one used at my workplace □ The tools and utilities included
□ The price □ It is easy to use □ Compatibility of the file format
□ Client’s request □ Other:
15. Which is the amount of translation for which you use CAT tools?
□ All / Almost All □ More than the half □ About half □ Less than half
□ Very little
16. How did you learn to use CAT tools?
□ Payment workshop □ Workshop/Material provided with the software
□ Workshop organized by/at the workplace □ During my studies
□ Free online tutorial □ On my own □ Other:
How would you rate those aspects of the system you are currently using?
(From 1 to 5; 1= very bad, 5= excellent, N= Not present, X= No experience/I don’t know)
17. Ease of setup:
18. Ease of use and interface:
19. Hardware compatibility:
20. Software compatibility:
21. Material provided (manuals, tutorials…):
22. Speed during the operation:
23. Texts display:
24. System’s efficiency (bugs, errors…):
25. Customer care:
26. System customization:
27. Which tools do you use most?
□ Translation memories □ Terminology managers □ Spell/Grammar checkers
□ Electronic dictionaries □ Machine translation □ Other:
28. Why don’t you use CAT tools?
□ The price □ I don’t feel comfortable with the software
□ I don’t think they will improve my job □ Nobody requested me to use them
[Edited at 2010-02-13 15:35 GMT]
| || |
To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:
You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »
Thesis survey on CAT tools
|Anycount & Translation Office 3000|
|Translation Office 3000|
Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.
More info »
|SDL MultiTerm 2019|
|Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.|
SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.
More info »