definition of localisation
Thread poster: Aurelie Vanstappen

Aurelie Vanstappen

Local time: 09:06
French to Dutch
+ ...
Feb 19, 2010

I don't intend to feed the discussion on what localisation is or isnt, but as I'll be studying localisation for the next 6 months: I'm very interested in your opinion... what is your definition of localisation? Just translation of websites and software, translation of a culture into an other one, etc.

Direct link Reply with quote

Ali Bayraktar  Identity Verified
Turkey
Member (2007)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Drawing a picture Feb 19, 2010

..with the paints of the target people.

I can define (and understand) it in that way.

Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:06
German to Spanish
+ ...
definition of localisation Feb 19, 2010

Aurelie Vanstappen wrote:

I don't intend to feed the discussion on what localisation is or isnt, but as I'll be studying localisation for the next 6 months: I'm very interested in your opinion... what is your definition of localisation? Just translation of websites and software, translation of a culture into an other one, etc.

Pirated from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internationalization_and_localization

In computing, internationalization and localization (also spelled internationalisation and localisation, see spelling differences) are means of adapting computer software to different languages and regional differences.

Internationalization is the process of designing a software application so that it can be adapted to various languages and regions without engineering changes.

Localization is the process of adapting internationalized software for a specific region or language by adding locale-specific components and translating text.

From this point of view, localisation is a very specific concept about locales

[Editado a las 2010-02-19 19:33 GMT]

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 03:06
Spanish
+ ...
Short and long definition of localization. Feb 19, 2010

The

Eduardo García Soñanes
Mexico
Local time: 02:06
English to Spanish
Combination of language and culture Feb 19, 2010

To what has been said before, I would add that localization is a combination of language and culture; an adaptation of a product (software, website, device, etc) to a particular country (LOCATION).

The person(s) doing the localization must be familiar with the language and the culture of the target country.

As far as a translator is concerned, things to be considered in the localization of content of a piece of software or website are: date format, decimal separator, thousands separator, symbol for currency, etc.

The target users of the product must feel that it was made in their country.

Good luck
Eduardo García Soñanes

[Edited at 2010-02-19 23:32 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

definition of localisation

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search