How to learn how to use SDLX and TRADOS?
Thread poster: Helena Grahn
Helena Grahn
Helena Grahn  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:29
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Mar 31, 2010

I paid a lot for those two cat-tools. Actually, I bought Trados and got SDLX at the same time in the package. That was in 2007. I still haven't got my head around those softwares and do not know exactly how to use them. I used to pay for their support, which many times, was not even happy to help me and suggested many times that I should pay for a training session. I had a couple of training sessions online on how to use Trados and cannot say that they helped me to use the software thoroughly. I... See more
I paid a lot for those two cat-tools. Actually, I bought Trados and got SDLX at the same time in the package. That was in 2007. I still haven't got my head around those softwares and do not know exactly how to use them. I used to pay for their support, which many times, was not even happy to help me and suggested many times that I should pay for a training session. I had a couple of training sessions online on how to use Trados and cannot say that they helped me to use the software thoroughly. I called SDLX back and asked for a paid for training session as the ones I had taken part of had been free. They put me through to a teacher, who suggested I could buy a later version of these softwares, as it has become a lot easier to use them. I asked how much that would cost me and I got the answer, ie, about £250:- as far as I can remember and that only to download the new versions.

I still cannot use thoswe cat tools and refused to do as the teacher suggested me. I only think they want money and they are not very interested in helping clients to learn their software... unless, I suppose, it is a big company paying for them to go on site and showing step bu step how to use their products.

I am afraid of downloading new versions and scared of paying for online sessions that will not help me either.
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:29
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Look for training! Mar 31, 2010

Trados is an industrial-strength tool and is not very intuitive, to say the least. Training is a must. Look for Trados training in your area. You will never regret it!

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 13:29
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Have you used other CATs? Mar 31, 2010

Most translators started out with Word and Wordfast. In fact Trados 2007 can be used in Word as a plug-in and behaves a lot like Wordfast Classic.

Actually I don't much about the ins and outs of Trados, but manage to use it without problems (Tageditor).

You start up Wordbench, create or load a TM, fire up Tageditor, load the file you want to translate (most formats are supported) and press Alt+Home. Translate the first segment and press Alt+ plus-sign on your numeric k
... See more
Most translators started out with Word and Wordfast. In fact Trados 2007 can be used in Word as a plug-in and behaves a lot like Wordfast Classic.

Actually I don't much about the ins and outs of Trados, but manage to use it without problems (Tageditor).

You start up Wordbench, create or load a TM, fire up Tageditor, load the file you want to translate (most formats are supported) and press Alt+Home. Translate the first segment and press Alt+ plus-sign on your numeric keyboard. If you want to stop press Alt+End.

When ready chose Save as Target and save the translation. Done.

There used to be a Tutorial.

SDLX is a little more difficult because you have to create a project. The editor is horizontal, like a 2-column table.

Regards
Heinrich
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
practise and practise Mar 31, 2010

A local training session will really help.
Demos are useful to understand the gist
http://www.translationzone.com/en/downloads/demodownloads/
Webinar recordings are useful (just bear with the SDL advertising to b
... See more
Webinar recordings are useful (just bear with the SDL advertising to begin with!)
http://www.translationzone.com/en/news/webinar-recordings/
Proz training will help:
http://www.proz.com/training/sdl-trados/
but you also have to practise and practise. Start with a simple document and create a TM. If you go wrong and "can't find" your files/tms, or you discover your TM is empty after the translation, or your file won't save etc. etc., it won't matter. If you start on 50,000 words it certainly will matter.
Don't set your sights too high. Don't take on an enormous project that requires Trados. Don't experiment with converted PDFs or Excels in Tag Editor.
Get to grips with the basics. You'll find the learning curve isn't that steep if you get a good basic understanding of how it works. Then you will start to discover all the extra features that will help you work faster.

To begin with it won't make you more productive. Keep practising and it will.
Then it'll be worth upgrading to Studio 2009 to discover even more features and improve productivity even more (sorry, I don't mean to sound like a walking advert!)
Collapse

Miguel Valentín-Gamazo
Miguel Valentín-Gamazo  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Spanish
+ ...
Youtube Mar 31, 2010

At the beginning, using TRADOS look harder than it really is. You can find very useful tutorials in Youtube (just clicking: Trados). And it is free

Annett Hieber
Annett Hieber  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
I absolutely agree with Emma! Apr 6, 2010

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

Webinar recordings are useful (just bear with the SDL advertising to begin with!)
http://www.translationzone.com/en/news/webinar-recordings/
Proz training will help:
http://www.proz.com/training/sdl-trados/
but you also have to practise and practise. Start with a simple document and create a TM. If you go wrong and "can't find" your files/tms, or you discover your TM is empty after the translation, or your file won't save etc. etc., it won't matter. If you start on 50,000 words it certainly will matter.
Don't set your sights too high. Don't take on an enormous project that requires Trados. Don't experiment with converted PDFs or Excels in Tag Editor.
Get to grips with the basics. You'll find the learning curve isn't that steep if you get a good basic understanding of how it works. Then you will start to discover all the extra features that will help you work faster.

To begin with it won't make you more productive. Keep practising and it will.
Then it'll be worth upgrading to Studio 2009 to discover even more features and improve productivity even more (sorry, I don't mean to sound like a walking advert!)

I can only confirm what Emma is saying. I also bought Trados/SDLX 2007 Freelance in October 2008 and also bought some online training sessions which were not that productive. In the meantime, I might say that I master the basics and understand how it works. I can work with it (TagEditor), create TMs, use WinAlign etc. However, I am planning to upgrade to Studio 2009 end of this year and I strongly intend to book a local training then in order to be able to use all the features properly.

Annett

[Edited at 2010-04-06 15:58 GMT]

Annett Hieber
Annett Hieber  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Really?!!! Apr 6, 2010

zalacain56 wrote:

At the beginning, using TRADOS look harder than it really is. You can find very useful tutorials in Youtube (just clicking: Trados). And it is free

That's interesting news! I surely will have a look. Thanks for sharing this information.

Annett

Rufat Ahmadov
Rufat Ahmadov  Identity Verified
Azerbaijan
Local time: 14:29
English to Azerbaijani
+ ...
Thanks for YouTube tip Apr 7, 2010

Thank you zalacain56. I have been using Trados 2007 for some time now, but didn't know what YouTube had to offer. I see they even have Trados 2009 videos.

Angel Llacuna
Angel Llacuna  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
learning Trados in Barcelona (Spain) May 12, 2010

further on this subject,

do you know of any courses to learn to use Trados, I mean courses that require the physical presence of pupils and teacher in a room, and take place in Barcelona city. I am mainly a beginner with Trados, having used the IBM Translation Manager tool during my whole translator career .

thanks in advance

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to learn how to use SDLX and TRADOS?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »