Is there any software to play mp4 sound files in slow speed for transcription purpose?
Thread poster: chopra_2002

chopra_2002  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 04:34
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Apr 2, 2010

Hi friends,

I am basically a translator but one of my main translation agencies has entrusted some sort of a new job to me. I am required to listen to a mp4 file and write down the dialogues and then translate them. When I play the file, it becomes difficult for me to note down the dialogues because of speed. I want to know if there exists a free software in which we can play the mp4 sound files in slow speed as it will be convenient to note down dialogues in that case?

Regards,

Chopra

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 02:04
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Probably Apr 2, 2010

Search for a sound editor application. They work like a taperecorder and probably allow to listen at different speeds. Google will show results.
Regards
Heinrich

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/about/

patyjs  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 18:04
Spanish to English
+ ...
Try Express Scribe... Apr 2, 2010

you can download it for free and it has speed variation and other cool stuff. It works well for me and I do quite a lot of transcription/translation.

Good luck.

Florence_G (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:04
English to French
+ ...
VLC Apr 3, 2010

I use VLC.

You can increase and decrease the speed as much as you want.

^^

Edit: I tried Express Scribe but you can't use .mp4 files.

[Edited at 2010-04-03 09:52 GMT]

William [Bill] Gray  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 01:04
Member (2006)
English
+ ...
Use a foot pedal too... Apr 3, 2010

patyjs wrote:

Try Express Scribe...
you can download it for free and it has speed variation and other cool stuff. It works well for me and I do quite a lot of transcription/translation.

Good luck.

I have been very pleased with Express Scribe, but you must have a foot pedal (which can be bought along with Express Scribe) to work with transcriptions. Once you've got the hang of it, you will never do it any other way. Pays for itself in a short time, because you can work so much faster.

Good luck, and Happy Easter!

Bill

PS: Sorry, I just re-read your posting and saw the request was for FREE material. Express Scribe is anything BUT free! Then you will have to use audacity as posted by Heinrich. It is very good, and FREE. I use it in my phonetics teaching job to create listening files!
B

[Edited at 2010-04-03 12:24 GMT]

José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 20:04
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Express Scribe Apr 3, 2010

William [Bill] Gray wrote:
I have been very pleased with Express Scribe, but you must have a foot pedal...

Nope. The default is the F(1-12) keys on the keyboard. As your fingers will already be there, it's very easy to get the habit of using them.

Actually I built a foot pedal when I shifted from open-reel tape recorders to Express Scribe, but the keys worked better for me (and I've had both automatic and stickshift cars, so that's not the issue).

William [Bill] Gray wrote:
Express Scribe is anything BUT free! Then you will have to use audacity as posted by Heinrich. It is very good, and FREE.

Wrong again.
Quoting from http://www.nch.com.au/scribe/
Express Scribe is completely free and can be used without any restrictions. We make it free because we know you will love it so much you will use and recommend our commercial digital dictation suite to others.

There is a red button for download on this page.

Again, from that page:
Supported File Formats
Ability to play most audio and video file formats (including encrypted dictation files) including:
  • dct (encrypted dictation)
  • Windows Media, VoiceIt (sri)
  • RealAudio (ra and rm)
  • Olympus, Lanier & Grundig (dss)
  • Sony Recorder formats (msv, dvf)
  • Philips Digital Recorder format
  • Sanyo Digital Recorder format
  • DSP TrueSpeech*, GSM 6.10,
  • mp2, vox, PCM, uLaw,
  • ALaw, ADPCM, CELP, SBC,
  • ACT, APE, MPC, SHN, SPX.
  • 3GP, AVI, DIVX, FLV, MKV, MOV, MP4, MPEG, WMV
  • and many more formats.
    * will not work on Vista

• [Edited at 2010-04-03 19:25 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there any software to play mp4 sound files in slow speed for transcription purpose?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
    The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
    WordFinder Unlimited
    For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
    • All of ProZ.com
    • Term search
    • Jobs
    • Forums
    • Multiple search