Compatibility of QUARK 4.0.
Thread poster: anabela valente

anabela valente  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 06:01
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Apr 6, 2010

I've started working as a translator for a Publishing company and they give me final text layouts as Quark 4.0 files. I've never worked with Quark 4.0 and so I don't know if these files are compatible with TRADO STUDIO 2009. Can anyone confirm if they have used these type of files with TRADOS.

Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 07:01
English to Polish
Export, translate, import Apr 6, 2010

anabela valente wrote:

I've started working as a translator for a Publishing company and they give me final text layouts as Quark 4.0 files. I've never worked with Quark 4.0 and so I don't know if these files are compatible with TRADO STUDIO 2009. Can anyone confirm if they have used these type of files with TRADOS.

0. Ask publishing company to buy CopyFlow
http://www.napsys.com/CFGforQuark.html
If you want to buy it for yourself, start with buying Quark (4.0 is probably impossible to buy, as it is old version). CopyFlow is the extension to be used with Quark.
1. Ask CopyFlow operator to read the manual and export the file to Trados-compatible file.
2. Translate the file.
3. Provide CopyFlow operator with final translated file (not XLIFF, not TTX) and ask to import it.

Important note: I am not sure if CopyFlow for Quark 4 is still available from Napsys. Quark 7 and 8 switched to Unicode, Quark 4 is really old version...

anabela valente  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 06:01
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
quark Apr 7, 2010

Thank you for your help...I was really lost! but I still have a few questions so maybe I should get in contact with a Copyflow operator because I really don't understan d much about computers and programs...I guess I'm still an old-fashioned translator.

Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 07:01
English to Polish
CopyFlow operator Apr 8, 2010

anabela valente wrote:

Thank you for your help...I was really lost! but I still have a few questions so maybe I should get in contact with a Copyflow operator because I really don't understan d much about computers and programs...I guess I'm still an old-fashioned translator.

Bo CopyFlow operator I mean a person that runs both Quark and CopyFlow on his/her computer.
In your case probably the easiest way to deal with the problem will be to ask the publishing company to buy this software and provide you with exported file that will work with Trados.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Compatibility of QUARK 4.0.

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search