Book list about translation and related issues
Thread poster: Pablo Bouvier

Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:56
German to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 8, 2010

Dear colleagues, ladies and gentlemen :

I have compiled this list of books about translation and other related issues. All these books are referenced in googlebooks. Unfortunately, I have no time to complete the list with due information like authors, publishers and so far, as I'm now working by emptying my flat.

Please, feel free to complete and use the list at this same thread or in another place, but please let us know.

English books about translation and related issues

A practical guide to localization
About translation
Computer-aided translation
Computers in translation: a practical appraisal
Crossing barriers and bridging culltures
Empirical methods for exploiting parallel texts
Machine translation and the lexicon
Parallel text processing: alignment and use of translation corpora
Routledge Encyclopedia of Translation Studies
The coming industry of Teletranslation
Translation and globalization
Translation as a profession
Translation engines: techniques for Machine Translation
Translation today: trends and perspectives
Translation-mediated communication

Spanish books about translation and related issues

Aspectos empíricos de la traducción
Aspectos epistemológicos de la TRADUCCIÓN
Aspectos teóricos y prácticos de la
Conocimiento y lenguaje
Curso práctico de traducción general
Diseño e implementación de sistemas
Experiencias de traducción
Guía didáctica de la traducción de la traducción de textos idiolectales
Historia de la traducción
Iniciación a la traducción: enfoque interpretativo. teoría y prráctica
Introducción a los estudios sobre traducción. Historia, teoría y análisis descriptivos.
La enseñanza de la traducción
La traducción del inglés al castellano. Guía para el traductor
La traducción publicitaria
La traducción y la interpretación en ls relaciones jurídicas internacionales
La traducción, teoría y práctica
Lengua y cultura: estudios en torno a la traducción
Manual para la redacción, traducción y publicación de textos médicos
Panorama de la lingüística y traductología
Sobre la traducción: ideas tradcionales y teorías contempránes
Traducción y tecnologías

[Editado a las 2010-04-08 20:22 GMT]

[Editado a las 2010-04-09 07:47 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 02:56
SITE FOUNDER
How about posting this in the wiki? Apr 8, 2010

Hi Pablo,

Perhaps you could consider cutting and pasting your list into the wiki? A wiki will make it easy for others to add to it. See: "Books of interest to translators": http://wiki.proz.com/wiki/index.php/Books_of_interest_to_translators

Just click "edit", then paste it in. Some formatting may be required... like an asterisk in front of each item in the list.

German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Book list about translation and related issues Apr 8, 2010

Henry D wrote:

Hi Pablo,

Perhaps you could consider cutting and pasting your list into the wiki? A wiki will make it easy for others to add to it. See: "Books of interest to translators": http://wiki.proz.com/wiki/index.php/Books_of_interest_to_translators

Just click "edit", then paste it in. Some formatting may be required... like an asterisk in front of each item in the list.

Hi, Henry: No problem at all, but I believe some more reference information about these books should be given to add them to the proz-wiki and I am not able to do it for now. Of course, to copy and paste the list and to add an asterisk to the items is not a problem..

[Editado a las 2010-04-08 20:30 GMT]

Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Please do! Apr 8, 2010

Pablo Bouvier wrote:

Henry D wrote:

Hi Pablo,

Hi, Henry: No problem at all, but I believe some more reference information about these books should be given to add them to the proz-wiki and I am not able to do it for now. Of course, to copy and paste the list and to add an asterisk to the items is not a problem..

Yes, please do. Who knows - someone else might help out...

German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Book list about translation and related issues Apr 8, 2010

Henry D wrote:

Pablo Bouvier wrote:

Henry D wrote:

Hi Pablo,

Yes, please do. Who knows - someone else might help out...

Done!

Nikita Kobrin  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 09:56
English to Russian
+ ...
Good idea. Apr 8, 2010

Good idea. I believe this list will be useful.

I have already added three entries to the wiki:

- Becoming A Translator: An Accelerated Course by Douglas Robinson (Routledge, 1997)
- How to Succeed as a Freelance Translator by Corinne McKay (Two Rat Press, 2006)
- Managing Translation Services by Geoffrey Samuelsson-Brown (Multilingual Matters, 2006)

I would suggest to keep that list in alphabetical order of books' titles.

[Edited at 2010-04-08 21:06 GMT]

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:56
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
Wiki is a good idea Apr 9, 2010

I have just started section for books in Polish

foreevermore  Identity Verified
Russian to English
+ ...
Other Books Apr 12, 2010

Routledge's Guide to Translation Studies also has a workbook version, I believe, as well as several other language resources, which are all available as ebooks on their website if I'm not mistaken.

Also, there is the "Thinking ___ Translation" Series...I don't remember who it's from, but there are a series of them as Kindle books (and in print, I believe)...I've come across "Thinking French Translation" "Thinking Spanish Translation" And "Thinking German Translation," the introductions to all of which cover the same general concepts (my experience with this is only from the "free sample," but the TOC seems to list more language-specific translation issues, payment, etc. later on.

Also, Amazon's site has a few translation blogs, if you do a search.

I would also tack any online marketing strategies book to that list as well, since that is a great deal of freelancing (especially if you're primarily doing it internationally).

German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Book list about translation and related issues Jun 9, 2010

Jianna Logue wrote:

Routledge's Guide to Translation Studies also has a workbook version, I believe, as well as several other language resources, which are all available as ebooks on their website if I'm not mistaken.

Also, there is the "Thinking ___ Translation" Series...I don't remember who it's from, but there are a series of them as Kindle books (and in print, I believe)...I've come across "Thinking French Translation" "Thinking Spanish Translation" And "Thinking German Translation," the introductions to all of which cover the same general concepts (my experience with this is only from the "free sample," but the TOC seems to list more language-specific translation issues, payment, etc. later on.

Also, Amazon's site has a few translation blogs, if you do a search.

I would also tack any online marketing strategies book to that list as well, since that is a great deal of freelancing (especially if you're primarily doing it internationally).

I have expanded the list of bibliographic references in English and Spanish at the Prozwiki just now. I have no time for more and feel tired, so feel free to extend or modify the reference list. According to the usual wiki´s philosophy, I did not add any link to commercial sites, but I would propose to link the referenced books to the corresponding googlebook link. This would allow to view at least a part of the book before deciding to buy it.

Another thing I would like to propose is to decide wich bibliograhical reference structure to use in order to maintain certain uniformity for the references at the prozwiki: MLA, APA, Chicago/Turabian, etc. Until now, I have used the MLA7 style, but feel free to modify it, if you like. Good night!

[Editado a las 2010-06-10 00:19 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Book list about translation and related issues

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search