https://www.proz.com/forum/translator_resources/162698-what_method_of_payment_do_you_choose_when.html

What method of payment do you choose when...?
Thread poster: Helena Grahn
Helena Grahn
Helena Grahn  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:00
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Apr 14, 2010

You are approached by a client (not an agent but an individual) that you do not know and asks you to do a translation for her?

Do you ask her to pay in advance by for instance PayPal?

Rebecca Hendry
Rebecca Hendry  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Where is your client based? Apr 14, 2010

If you and your client are both in the UK, then a bank transfer is quite a simple payment method, as most people have online banking these days and can arrange transfers via the Internet.

Otherwise, payment by PayPal is a good option.

I would certainly ask for payment (or at the very least, part payment) in advance.

lucas olsson
lucas olsson
Local time: 18:00
German to Norwegian
Hoping for the best:) Apr 14, 2010

Dear Helena,

I have had the same experience quite often as i have a lot of translations for different clients. I have never asked for payment in advance, also if this would be a good way of doing it as I often have to wait for some time until they pay. But until now everyone has paid:)

I think the best thing is to check up the company/client see if you find any comments on them on Google or here on Proz. And you should rather ask for Moneybookers than Paypal as they ha
... See more
Dear Helena,

I have had the same experience quite often as i have a lot of translations for different clients. I have never asked for payment in advance, also if this would be a good way of doing it as I often have to wait for some time until they pay. But until now everyone has paid:)

I think the best thing is to check up the company/client see if you find any comments on them on Google or here on Proz. And you should rather ask for Moneybookers than Paypal as they have much lower rates when it comes to withdrawing and sending money.

Good luck with your client

Regards Lucas

[Edited at 2010-04-14 13:34 GMT]
Collapse

Helena Grahn
Helena Grahn  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Apr 14, 2010

I will do so

yep, client is in the UK as well

David Wright
David Wright  Identity Verified
Austria
German to English
+ ...
Within Europe Apr 14, 2010

Bank transfers are by far the simplest within Europe, leading to practically no charges if within the EU. I've never ever had any probelms with them

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Yes, but watch out outside the €uro zone! Apr 14, 2010

David Wright wrote:

Bank transfers are by far the simplest within Europe, leading to practically no charges if within the EU.

Generally, I would agree; however, I regularly get charged a hefty €18 flat-rate fee for payments I receive from CH — not sure if this is a peculiarity of my bank or not, but it's a right pain for the smaller amounts!

Cedomir Pusica
Cedomir Pusica  Identity Verified
Serbia
Member (2009)
English to Serbian
+ ...
Flat charge outside the euro zone Apr 14, 2010

Tony M wrote:

Generally, I would agree; however, I regularly get charged a hefty €18 flat-rate fee for payments I receive from CH — not sure if this is a peculiarity of my bank or not, but it's a right pain for the smaller amounts!

Yes, this really is annoying. I always get deducted 10 EUR flat from any bank transaction coming FROM the Euro zone, so I guess the same applies vice versa...

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Ask for some advance payment, but EXPLAIN WHY! Apr 15, 2010

Rebecca Hendry wrote:
I would certainly ask for payment (or at the very least, part payment) in advance.

I agree. If the job is a sizable one, better safe than sorry.

However, if the job is worth a couple of hours of work I would not demand advance payment. If the job means a full day of work or more, I'd demand 1/3 of the total sum in advance, the rest on delivery.

I think it is important to explain to the customer that, as professionals who work over the Internet for previously unknown people, there is a certain risk of default in payments and we need some economic reassurance before starting the job. Explain that this is normal in our profession. It would be sad if the customer thought you are just greedy!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What method of payment do you choose when...?

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »