Intellicomplete
Thread poster: Barnaby Capel-Dunn
Barnaby Capel-Dunn  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:07
French to English
Dec 16, 2003

Those of you familiar with, or interested in Intellicomplete (the only affordable word/phrase software available from www.flashpeak.com - free to try for 30 days, just under $ 50 to buy), might like to know of two developments on the website.
1. The introduction of some User’s Notes (on the Intellicomplete page, select Reviews).
2. New Features (select “Online Forum” on the main page, then “Feature Request” in the “Intellicomplete” thread.

1. The User’s Notes are written from the point of view of a translator (me) as opposed to a secretary, programmer, etc. (Intellicomplete is used by a wide variety of professions). The notes are based on my own experience in using the application fairly extensively over a period of three years. They do not pretend to be definitive since, of course, work situations and profiles vary considerably even among translators. But it might be interesting to compare your own way of using Intellicomplete with mine – and to tell me where I’m going wrong!
2. “Feature Request” is a chance to post your own “wish list” of features/improvements you would like to see included in a future version of the software. The developer is currently very busy with his academic studies but promises to get back to Intellicomplete just as soon as he can and try to incorporate new ideas.

Direct link Reply with quote

French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Omission Dec 17, 2003

I should have made it clear that Intellicomplete is a word/phrase AUTOCOMPLETION application. You type in the first letter(s) - you can adjust the number of prefixes - and then a pop-up window prompts you to complete the word/phrase.

Sorry for the omission!

All the best

Barnaby

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Spanish
it makes me nervous! Dec 21, 2003

I try this aplication, and it is funny, but after 1 hour I delete it.
It makes me nervous
wenn I write, for example, "Mr." he change it to a longe sentence (I only write it, and tap no other key like Ctrl or Return), surely there is a point where you can change this, but I do not find it.
I thing Autocorrect in Word is enough.

quote]Barnaby Capel-Dunn wrote:

I should have made it clear that Intellicomplete is a word/phrase AUTOCOMPLETION application. You type in the first letter(s) - you can adjust the number of prefixes - and then a pop-up window prompts you to complete the word/phrase.

Sorry for the omission!

All the best

Barnaby
[/quote]

Charlotte Blank  Identity Verified
Czech to German
+ ...
Medical terms and abbreviations Dec 22, 2003

I did not try Intellicomplete (I also switched off that "intelligent" filling out of words on my mobile as it makes me nervous) but on their website there are some quite interesting glossaries of medical terms and abbreviations!

Charlotte

French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Reply to comments Dec 23, 2003

In answer to Toledo:
In all my experience of using Intellicomplete, it has never completed a word/phrase automatically (without a command from me). Can you give me more details?

In answer to Charlotte:
There is no doubt that the prompt window can be distracting. I have tried to discuss this and other points in my "User's Notes" on the Intellicomplete website. The danger is, of course, that constant glancing at the prompt window actually slows you down rather than speeds up your productivity. After a lot of trial and error, I have come to the conclusion that the application is often (but of course not always) most effective when you are 100% sure which word/phrase will be completed. For example: supposing the phrase "pharmaceutical industry" features prominently in your text", you start typing (I usually set the the minimum number of characters to 3) and then, WITHOUT GLANCING AT THE PROMPT WINDOW, press the hot key. This really does work like a dream as of course it does not disrupt the work flow.

Re your other point: yes, there are some interesting glossaries. Take a look at the "Partners" link as well.

All the best

Barnaby

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Great tool Dec 24, 2003

IntelliComplete is a great tool. I have been looking for a good autocompletion program for a very long time and IntelliComplete does (almost) exactly what I need. And I have found it thanks to Barnaby's post in another forum, so thank you, Barnaby!

Why is it better than Autocomplete in Word?

- it honors capitalization
- it gives you more than one choice
- it can automatically learn words and/or phrases
- it works in any application, not just Word (Trados TagEditor, e-mail program, Notepad, Excel,...)

There are also some problems. For example, it doesn't recognize Alt+Num Plus (Trados shortcut) as a word delimiter, so it sometimes thinks you are still writing one word, even though you have opened a new segment. I have already contacted the author of the software about this.

IntelliComplete has many options and it takes some time to fine-tune them. It took me about one week and it could discourage some first-time users.

The prompt might be distracting in the beginning, but you will get used to it. And it's important not to try autocompleting every second word - exactly as Barnaby said.

As for Toledo's problem - you have probably enabled autoexpansion of shorthands (Options - General - Auto expand shorthand when typing delimiters). As I said, the program is very customizable, but one has to be patient in the beginning.

IntelliComplete has already saved me a lot of typing and I can really recommend it to everyone who's writing repetitive or complicated texts.

French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Hynek Dec 24, 2003

... for your kind remarks. I think your comments are absolutely correct.
Merry Christmas

Barnaby

French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Possible solution to Toledo's problem Dec 24, 2003

Dear Toledo

This is what Intellicomplete's developer says:

As for the user's problem, i.e., when he types "Mr." and it is changed into a long sentence, I think he may have turned on the option "Automatically expand shorthands when typing delimiters". Most probably, he has downloaded the version for Medical transcriptionists. In that version, that option is default on. "." is considered a delimiter and in his shorthand library, "Mr" happens to be a shorthand and so it's automatically expanded. For example, you can type "asap." and it will be automatically expanded into "as soon as possible.".

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Spanish
OK!, I'll give it a chance Thks, but without Medical Glossary ;) Dec 28, 2003

Barnaby Capel-Dunn wrote:

Dear Toledo

This is what Intellicomplete's developer says:

As for the user's problem, i.e., when he types "Mr." and it is changed into a long sentence, I think he may have turned on the option "Automatically expand shorthands when typing delimiters". Most probably, he has downloaded the version for Medical transcriptionists. In that version, that option is default on. "." is considered a delimiter and in his shorthand library, "Mr" happens to be a shorthand and so it's automatically expanded. For example, you can type "asap." and it will be automatically expanded into "as soon as possible.".

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Intellicomplete

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search