Looking to buy "Der grosse Eichborn" German>English dictionary
Thread poster: Ron Stelter
Ron Stelter
Ron Stelter  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:32
Member (2003)
German to English
Dec 25, 2003

I know that a lot of German>English translators have the dictionary "Der grosse Eichborn" for law, business, politics, etc. I have been trying to find it to add to my own resources. (I do mainly legal and general business translations.) I have most of the standard dictionaries in these areas such as from Dietl/Lorentz, Hamblock/Wessels, Romain, Schaefer, etc.

First of all, if you have it, do you recommend it? Would it have things the above-mentioned dictionaries don't have? Are
... See more
I know that a lot of German>English translators have the dictionary "Der grosse Eichborn" for law, business, politics, etc. I have been trying to find it to add to my own resources. (I do mainly legal and general business translations.) I have most of the standard dictionaries in these areas such as from Dietl/Lorentz, Hamblock/Wessels, Romain, Schaefer, etc.

First of all, if you have it, do you recommend it? Would it have things the above-mentioned dictionaries don't have? Are the translations on the mark?

If so, I would be interested in buying the latest version from someone. You may e-mail me privately if interested. On Amazon, it's being listed for a pricey 400 dollars.

Any input on this dictionary-whether good or bad-appreciated.

Merry Christmas.
Collapse

Cetacea
Cetacea  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 14:32
English to German
+ ...
It's worth every cent Dec 26, 2003

Ron,
If legal and general business is what you specialize in, then "Der Grosse Eichborn" is a must have! I've been working with it for years, and in my opinion, it's more than worth its price! Comprehensive, detailed, and to the point.
Happy New Year,
Cetacea

Ute Wietfeld
Ute Wietfeld  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:32
English to German
+ ...
Try amazon.de Dec 27, 2003

Hi Ron,

I agree, Eichborn is a great resource. I'm not sure whether this works for shipments to the US but I recently looked on amazon.de and found several under marketplace, i.e. by private(ish) sellers, one was around €70 if I remember correctly -- it was listed as unused, but with the cover slightly damaged. Also, I don't think the price for a new one was anywhere near $400, but of course I don't know how much the postage would be to the US or whether they ship to the US at al
... See more
Hi Ron,

I agree, Eichborn is a great resource. I'm not sure whether this works for shipments to the US but I recently looked on amazon.de and found several under marketplace, i.e. by private(ish) sellers, one was around €70 if I remember correctly -- it was listed as unused, but with the cover slightly damaged. Also, I don't think the price for a new one was anywhere near $400, but of course I don't know how much the postage would be to the US or whether they ship to the US at all -- the do to the UK where I live. May be worth a try, though.
Good luck! Ute
Collapse

Robschmidt (X)
Robschmidt (X)
English to German
+ ...
I guess it can be shipped Jan 29, 2004

I have also bneen wanting to get this dictionary but thats pretty expensive as I see but I am told its worth preserving.

As far as shipping the Cd goes, I think it would be more sensible to get in touch online with kater verlag on www.kater.verlag.de and place an order, pay by credit card and I know that they ship it all over. Colleagues in China, Indonesia and Australia too have ordered through
... See more
I have also bneen wanting to get this dictionary but thats pretty expensive as I see but I am told its worth preserving.

As far as shipping the Cd goes, I think it would be more sensible to get in touch online with kater verlag on www.kater.verlag.de and place an order, pay by credit card and I know that they ship it all over. Colleagues in China, Indonesia and Australia too have ordered through this Verlag.
Amazon.de unnecessarily charge you a high amount.
Sorry a slight error in the address there it is www.kater-verlag.de

[Edited at 2004-01-30 02:12]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking to buy "Der grosse Eichborn" German>English dictionary

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »