Which CAT tool for team of translators?
Thread poster: ilehmann

ilehmann  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:39
English to German
May 3, 2010

We are currently looking to upgrade our Trados 5 to something a bit more modern. There are 2 in-house translators and we need to access the memory at the same time.

What tool do you use, how happy are you with it? What are the downsides?

Our requirements are really quite straight forward, Trados 5 is fine for us but our IT department no longer wants us to use Word 2000.

What we do want is some kind of preview window. I already had a look at Wordfast and Deja Vu and am not very impressed with the way "you-see-what-you-get" as we need to know the style of segments in order to properly translate them (some sentences might be used in a heading and in a list: we would translate them differently).

So, please give me your opinion.

Regards, Ilona

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Different CATs May 4, 2010

Hi Ilona,
I will soon be in the same position as you, looking for a TM server solution, and there are several possibilities with different costs of implementation, ranging from free to several tens of thousands of Euros.

...as we need to know the style of segments in order to properly translate them (some sentences might be used in a heading and in a list: we would translate them differently).

The natural move for you would be an upgrade to Trados Studio. The Editor view provides you with structural information in the right column, so translators always know whether they are translating a paragraph, a heading or e.g. an unordered list.

However, I'm afraid that a Trados TM Server will be a little too expensive; but who knows, I might be exactly wrong.

I would definitely recommend that you investigate the possibilities of using the FREE Wordfast Anywhere version (www.freetm.com) or the MemoQ Server (www.kilgray.com).

I hope this helps a little.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
MemoQ Server!! May 5, 2010

We are a team of 4 people, all working on the same projects, and even the same files, at the same time. Previously we used Trados 7 and 8 as our main tool, but our life really improved when we switched to MemoQ Server. It would require a deeper analysis of the costs, but I think that purchasing MemoQ Server with the Online Documents add-in will prove to be a lot cheaper than upgrading 5 (rather old by now) Trados licenses to the latest version. I also disagree that Trados Studio 2009 is the "natural" option in your case, for a number of reasons we can discuss later on of you wish.

You probably work as a team or could benefit from the possibility of having project managers, translators, reviewers, and proofreaders all working together simultaneously. Just imagine having translators translating segments in an urgent file (several translators can even work in different parts of the same file at the same time) while reviewer and proofreader follow them inside the file, without having to update/close/open anything in the process. With MemoQ you also have a nice floating preview mode which you can put in another screen if you wish.

In our server environment, MemoQ is very fast looking up matches, terminology, etc. and it nicely puts all on-screen so that you can easily grab whatever you prefer.

If you have been using Trados 5, it will be quite a shock to switch to a standalone environment (not linked to Word) and a side-by-side method, but your people would benefit enormously (in terms of speed and quality) after a couple of days. And in fact, most modern tools are project-based and side-by-side environments.

You might want to email Kilgray (www.kilgray.com), explain your needs, and let them recommend the best option in your case. This is what I did and I am so happy that I did it.icon_smile.gif

Kilgray's support is also excellent and is included in the price. You don't have to pay a separate support contact as you have with Trados. Today, nobody can deny that the de facto support site for Trados users without a support contract is the help of other users in Proz.com fora...icon_smile.gif

And of course feel free to email me via Proz.com if you want to discuss your actual requirements (about types of files, way of working, etc.). I will gladly tell you more about our experiences here.

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Trados etc... May 5, 2010

Tomás wrote:
I also disagree that Trados Studio 2009 is the "natural" option in your case,...

Hi Tomás, this is just to add a little explanation: what I meant by "natural" is the fact that Studio displays structural information for files in translation, which is what Ilona needs. There may be a similar feature in MemoQ. I hope it is clearer now.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I agree! May 5, 2010

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:
Tomás wrote:
I also disagree that Trados Studio 2009 is the "natural" option in your case,...

Hi Tomás, this is just to add a little explanation: what I meant by "natural" is the fact that Studio displays structural information for files in translation, which is what Ilona needs. There may be a similar feature in MemoQ. I hope it is clearer now.

In that sense I completely agree. To me, however, the structural information is not that critical if you have a preview mode. Working with Studio 2009 I always feel that I have too little space for translation, precise because of that --innecessary in my case-- structural information.icon_smile.gif

Thanks for the note Stanislav and take care!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which CAT tool for team of translators?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search