What is your opinion on CAT tools demo versions?
Thread poster: susan3
Jun 9, 2010

Hello,

I do the survey about CAT demo versions (such as Wordfast,Studio Trado 2009s,Across,Deja vu X,Transit and other). What about demo version?Are they somehow limited?are they good tool? What are you experience please? (Interface,features,functions,process of first steps, learning, your opiions, pros, cons, etc). I would like to ask you - do you recommend something to CAT developers if you have these posibility? Thanx.

Direct link Reply with quote

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 17:14
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Susan3 Jun 9, 2010

Susan3 wrote:
I do the survey about CAT demo versions (such as Wordfast,Studio Trado 2009s,Across,Deja vu X,Transit and other). What about demo version?Are they somehow limited?are they good tool? What are you experience please? (Interface,features,functions,process of first steps, learning, your opiions, pros, cons, etc). I would like to ask you - do you recommend something to CAT developers if you have these posibility? Thanx.

My opinion is that no CAT tool (demo or otherwise) will make up for a lack of precision on the translator's part.

[Edited at 2010-06-09 20:54 GMT]

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule

Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
Survey? Jun 9, 2010

Maybe you should put together a survey and ask your questions in a bit more systematic way. You could count on my answers.

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:14
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
I don’t need any demo (mainly) Jun 10, 2010

because for most of my jobs I use OmegaT and Anaphraseus, both being free programs

I use also Wordfast Classic (and trying the water with Wordfast Pro) precisely because its demo mode offered sufficient possibilities to assess its functionality to make a decision of buying a license.

[Edited at 2010-06-10 06:06 GMT]

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:14
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
The best demo: a fully functional product Jun 10, 2010

In the case of MemoQ, we had 45 days (and more, upon request) of full use of the tool in the office. As we were about to make quite an investment in a server environment (even if it was a lot more cost-effective than SDL's equivalent option), it was great to be able to test the system to the fullest with no restriction.

Any approach other than a fully functional, time-limited product is pretty much no use, if we are serious about things.

DZiW
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
grace period or video Jun 10, 2010

I don't like any 'demos' because they give a disappointing feeling and garbage my PC.

If there's a grace period (some 30 days) then I can give it a try else I search for any video (preferably with comments and replies) or a short manual related to it (even a forum will do)m but no demo crap>/b>.

Frankly speaking I saw very few decent demos at all (with moderate and sensible limitations), so I don't care much about them.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is your opinion on CAT tools demo versions?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search