https://www.proz.com/forum/translator_resources/173395-searching_multiple_web_dictionaries.html

Searching Multiple Web Dictionaries
Thread poster: Emal Ghamsharick
Emal Ghamsharick
Emal Ghamsharick  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:46
English to German
+ ...
Jun 15, 2010

Hello All,

I've been a fool to do this manually so far, there has to be a simple solution...
I use 3 main dictionaries on the Web (German to English):

Linguee.de
dict.leo.org
dict.cc
(maybe even the Proz term search)

Every time I'm looking for a term, I need to c&p it manually into the search box of each dictionary.
Is there a method/site/program where I only have to paste the term once and which will then search all three page
... See more
Hello All,

I've been a fool to do this manually so far, there has to be a simple solution...
I use 3 main dictionaries on the Web (German to English):

Linguee.de
dict.leo.org
dict.cc
(maybe even the Proz term search)

Every time I'm looking for a term, I need to c&p it manually into the search box of each dictionary.
Is there a method/site/program where I only have to paste the term once and which will then search all three pages automatically and show me the results (maybe even in the same window)?

I know Across has a similar function, and I think the new TRADOS as well, but I'd prefer something that is not tied to a specific application.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Emal
Collapse

Carlopez
Carlopez
English to French
Re Searching Multiple Web Dictionaries Jun 15, 2010

You could try this web page, on which you only have to type the word once:

http://www.lexicool.com/german-dictionary-translation.asp

I find it very useful.

Frank van Thienen (X)
Frank van Thienen (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 13:46
Dutch to English
try intelliwebsearch Jun 15, 2010

Try this freeware. Copied from their website:
"What does IntelliWebSearch do?
Pressing a convenient shortcut key combination (CTRL+ALT+B by default, but this may be changed by the user):
copies highlighted text from a Windows application (MS Word, Déjà Vu, SDLX, etc.) by simulating the copy function shortcut key combination (CTRL+C by default);
strips the text of paragraph marks, line breaks, tabs, double spaces, punctuation marks and various other superfluous charac
... See more
Try this freeware. Copied from their website:
"What does IntelliWebSearch do?
Pressing a convenient shortcut key combination (CTRL+ALT+B by default, but this may be changed by the user):
copies highlighted text from a Windows application (MS Word, Déjà Vu, SDLX, etc.) by simulating the copy function shortcut key combination (CTRL+C by default);
strips the text of paragraph marks, line breaks, tabs, double spaces, punctuation marks and various other superfluous characters (customizable);
opens your default browser (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera, etc.) and sends the copied text to one of up to fifty user preset search engines, on-line dictionaries or on-line encyclopaedias together with other customizable instructions which limit the search according to the advanced search options available for the engine/dictionary/encyclopaedia chosen. Alternatively it can send the same text and instructions to local dictionaries on CD-ROM or installed on your hard disk."

http://www.intelliwebsearch.com/

disclaimer: I have no connection, blah blah blah

Frank
Collapse

Emal Ghamsharick
Emal Ghamsharick  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:46
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Frank! Jun 16, 2010

This is genius! Not only does the program help me perform searches, it actually meets my special requirements in EVERY single aspect!

Thanks a million!

[Edited at 2010-06-16 06:04 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Searching Multiple Web Dictionaries

Translation news

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »