Which CAT tool can I use to translate .json files?
Thread poster: Ángel Belinchón

Ángel Belinchón  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:09
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 2, 2010

Hello,

I have been asked to translate some *.json files. I accepted the job assuming I could do it with Catalyst, but it seems it's not possible to handle these files in this CAT Tools.

So... do you know any CAT Tool I can use to translate .json files?

Also, if you know how to do it with Catalyst, Trados or Wordfast, it would be great!

Thanks in advance.

Laurent KRAULAND  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Derivation from JavaScript, it seems... Aug 2, 2010

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JSON

HTH - normally you should be able to translate this by opening the files with Notepad. There was a similar question about the YAML format (Yet Another Markup Language, file extension .yml) some months ago.

Here it is: http://www.proz.com/forum/software_applications/149882-help:_rails_yml_translation.html#1253263

[Edited at 2010-08-02 16:09 GMT]

Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2005)
English to Polish
+ ...
Okapi Rainbow Aug 2, 2010

TraduccionesABC wrote:

Hello,

I have been asked to translate some *.json files. I accepted the job assuming I could do it with Catalyst, but it seems it's not possible to handle these files in this CAT Tools.

Also, if you know how to do it with Catalyst, Trados or Wordfast, it would be great!

Thanks in advance.

Which is not exactly a CAT tool, but very helpful anyway.

It is a free tool which has a filter for the JSON format (among others) and will let you convert it to Tagged RTF (which you can translate in Wordfast or Trados) or XLIFF (for translation in CAT tools which handle the XLIFF format, such as Swordfish or OmegaT).

The JSON filter in Okapi Rainbow is configurable and you should know how to set the parameters.

You can download Okapi Rainbow here. http://okapi.opentag.com . You might want to read the tutorials bundled with the software. There is also a support forum: okapitools at yahoogroups, where you can put questions directly to the author of the program.

Hope this helps.

By the way, Rainbow has a filter for YAML, too.icon_smile.gif

Regards,

Piotr

Eduardo Cano Rodríguez  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Interesting! Aug 3, 2010

Piotr Bienkowski wrote:

TraduccionesABC wrote:

Hello,

Thanks in advance.

Which is not exactly a CAT tool, but very helpful anyway.

It is a free tool which has a filter for the JSON format (among others) and will let you convert it to Tagged RTF (which you can translate in Wordfast or Trados) or XLIFF (for translation in CAT tools which handle the XLIFF format, such as Swordfish or OmegaT).

The JSON filter in Okapi Rainbow is configurable and you should know how to set the parameters.

You can download Okapi Rainbow here. http://okapi.opentag.com . You might want to read the tutorials bundled with the software. There is also a support forum: okapitools at yahoogroups, where you can put questions directly to the author of the program.

Hope this helps.

By the way, Rainbow has a filter for YAML, too.icon_smile.gif

Regards,

Piotr

Hi Piotr,

That's really interesting. Do you know if it's possible to convert files back from .rtf to .json?

Kind Regards,
Edu

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 12:09
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Clipboard content CAT tools Aug 4, 2010

I rarely get unfamiliar source files to translate. I am tired to install new CAT tools that are seldom used. Many CAT tools in my PC can translate clipboard contents very well. If the source texts can be copied and pasted back, I will open the file with NotePad (good for many simple text file formats) and do translation interactively.

Regards,
Soonthon L.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which CAT tool can I use to translate .json files?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search