Taylor Kirk
Taylor Kirk  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:27
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Aug 5, 2010

Hello everyone,

As we all know there are some industries that commonly use terminology from one particular language no matter what language the text is in. I noticed that in the fashion industry, especially in magazines, English words are all over the place, though almost always in italics. Though we as translators traditionally dislike this, the original English word should be made a placeable in italics in the translation if it is truly the word used.
I have ma
... See more
Hello everyone,

As we all know there are some industries that commonly use terminology from one particular language no matter what language the text is in. I noticed that in the fashion industry, especially in magazines, English words are all over the place, though almost always in italics. Though we as translators traditionally dislike this, the original English word should be made a placeable in italics in the translation if it is truly the word used.
I have made a list of these English words that appear in Spanish Vogue, as well as the context in which they are found. I have paid special attention to words that appear more than once. Where would I put this type of glossary on Proz, and what would I call it? English to Spanish Fashion Glossary of Placeables? I think it would be most helpful for English to Spanish translators, so they can see what English words to retain. Here is a sample (please pardon the lack of accents here):

* = italics

prints (n)* - "...lo que se lleva en prints, complementos, y lo ultimo..."
"El suyo es un viaje que comienza en los prints exuberantes..."
"...las camisas con prints multicolores..."
flat (n)* "...en unas flats de Moschino...
(adj)* "...con unas zapatillas flat de charol..."; "...sandalias flat de Marni..."

I would love to hear your opinions!

Taylor Kirk
Collapse

Lesley Clarke
Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 07:27
Spanish to English
Are you certain that this terminology is always left in English? Aug 6, 2010

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with fashion terminology, but I know there is no rhyme or reason to the use of English words in Mexican business documents. It is not just a couple of English words used for want of a suitable Spanish expression, but rather each person puts whatever word they feel like in English.

The other thing is the use of these words specific to Spain? In which case, if you make a glossary it would be important to state this.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Where does this type of terminology go?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »