Aude Sylvain
Aude Sylvain  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 09:18
English to French
+ ...
just in case - training session Trados (beginners) Aug 12, 2010

Hi William,

I am not the most qualified person to reply to your latest question, but I just saw that there is a 3-hour online training session organised by ProZ next week (on Aug. 17, from 9pm CEST).

Should you be interest
... See more
Hi William,

I am not the most qualified person to reply to your latest question, but I just saw that there is a 3-hour online training session organised by ProZ next week (on Aug. 17, from 9pm CEST).

Should you be interested you can find more info here: http://www.proz.com/translator-training/course/3634-sdl-trados-studio-2009-getting-started-for-translators http://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_training/177722-sdl_trados_studio_2009_getting_started_for_translators.html

Regards,
Aude
Collapse

Ulf Samuelsson
Ulf Samuelsson  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 01:18
Member (2007)
English to Swedish
+ ...
The advantages of a TM Aug 13, 2010

If you're going to translate 60,000 words in a project, you really should invest some time in a TM tool.
Using a TM isn't just for the repetitive segments and the similar segments that you will find as you go along. Of equal importance is the ability to search for terms and phrases that you have already translated or that are in the TM that was sent to you together with the files to be translated. It is good that you can search in the memory anyway, but that would onle mean the memory file
... See more
If you're going to translate 60,000 words in a project, you really should invest some time in a TM tool.
Using a TM isn't just for the repetitive segments and the similar segments that you will find as you go along. Of equal importance is the ability to search for terms and phrases that you have already translated or that are in the TM that was sent to you together with the files to be translated. It is good that you can search in the memory anyway, but that would onle mean the memory file sent to you by the client - not the text you have translated yourself, unless you keep adding to the TM with a TM program.

How did you translate a post title?
How did you translate a certain office function?
How did you translate "investment scheme" last time?

When I started using the Trados macro for Word, it took me less than two hours to get the hang of it and be able to work with it (basically learning how to open a memory file, starting a translation session in Word and which keyboard commands to use for searching the memory and inserting placeables (formatting and numbers).

And even if it would take you the whole day to get started, it will pay off in the end (or rather well before you reach the end).

Just my opinion (and I was translating by just using Word for 5 years until I started using a TM program, just because a new client wanted me to use Trados). Now I mainly use Wordfast Classic for Word files, but Wordfast is limited to 500 translation segments unless you buy it, so I assume that it wouldn't be a workable solution for you this time. Better use a 30-day fully working evaluation copy of Trados, as I understand that is your client's tool.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

60,000 word manual without a TM?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »