WordFast - Is it possible to save Target text only?
Thread poster: Ann Bayliss

Ann Bayliss  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:22
French to English
Aug 11, 2010

Hi, if you are translating a document using WORDFAST, is there a way to save it so that the source language part is deleted?

Aude Sylvain  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 08:22
English to French
+ ...
yes Aug 11, 2010

- Under WF Pro: File>save translated file

- Under WF Classic: there are two options, as explained in the WFC user manual available at http://www.wordfast.net/zip/wf_en5.zip :

"Quick-clean (Ctrl+Alt+Q) cleans up a document without updating the memory (the real, full clean-up is performed from Wordfast's Tools tab). Quick-clean can be used if you revised the document by re-opening segments, so that changes are recorded in the TM.
If Wordfast proposes to process bookmarks without cleaning up the document, see the note on Bookmarks."

"Clean-up: When proof-reading is complete, click the Wordfast "f" icon, click the Tools tab, select the translated document in the Select documents list, and click the "Clean-up" button (if you work for a translation agency, you may be required to skip this step, i.e., send back the segmented document before clean-up). Answer "Yes" to the "Update memory" question only if you have proof-read or edited your document without opening/closing segments."

United States
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
MERCI BEAUCOUP Aug 12, 2010

C'est tres gentil et tres apprecie!
- Ann

Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:22
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
How I do it Aug 12, 2010

When I use Wordfast for translation, I sometimes make both a bilingual and a monolingual file like this:
1. When the translation is finished, I have a bilingual file containing the source text and the target text.
2. Suppose the document is in a file called docfile.doc. I will then use Windows Explorer and make a copy of the file with "U" (for "Unclean" at the end of the name. In this example, I now have 2 identical files: docfile.doc and docfileU.doc
3. Then I open docfile.doc and use WordFast Setup Tools Cleanup to do a "cleanup" on the document (usually without updating the translation memory, because I haven't changed any of the target segments since I did the translation).
4. After the cleanup, you can save the "report" if you want the statistics, and in any case save the translated document itself, which is now only the target text.
5. You now have docfileU.doc: bilingual and docfile.doc: monolingual
HTH
Oliver

United States
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
doc.U is a good solution, too. Aug 13, 2010

Thank you, Oliver and Aude.

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 13:22
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
By default in WordFast Classic Aug 14, 2010

Oliver Walter wrote:
------------------
3. Then I open docfile.doc and use WordFast Setup Tools Cleanup to do a "cleanup" on the document (usually without updating the translation memory, because I haven't changed any of the target segments since I did the translation).
4. After the cleanup, you can save the "report" if you want the statistics, and in any case save the translated document itself, which is now only the target text.
5. You now have docfileU.doc: bilingual and docfile.doc: monolingual

By default, WordFast Classic saves the *.bak (same file name with 'bak' extension) file during the bilingual file cleaning process. You can open this file with Word. In WordFast Pro, the *.txml file is bilinugal and cleaned file is target file: it is *.txt if source is *.txt file.

Best regards,
Soonthon Lupkitaro

[Edited at 2010-08-14 02:57 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WordFast - Is it possible to save Target text only?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search