https://www.proz.com/forum/translator_resources/177742-cat_tool_that_works_with_open_office.html

CAT tool that works with Open Office
Thread poster: Ilze Klotina
Ilze Klotina
Ilze Klotina
Latvia
Local time: 18:43
Japanese to Latvian
+ ...
Aug 12, 2010

Can you suggest a good translation tool which works with Open Office, except OmegaT? I've been using OmegaT for some time, but I don't feel comfortable with it. What about Wordfast Classic? Is it possible to use it with Open Office?

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:43
Russian to English
+ ...
OpenOffice can save in .doc format Aug 12, 2010

I am an enthusiastic user of OmegaT, and don't exactly know the answer to your question. But Open Office can save in .doc, .xls, .ppt etc. formats, so those files can be used in CAT tools that require Micro$oft products.

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:43
German to English
+ ...
Not WordFast Aug 12, 2010

Wordfast Classic (WFC) can't be used with OpenOffice because WFC is programmed in VBA (Visual Basic for Applications) which is not implemented in OpenOffice.
Oliver

Natasa Grubor
Natasa Grubor  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 17:43
English to Serbian
+ ...
Anaphraseus Aug 12, 2010

You can try Anaphraseus, it is similar to Wordfast but open source.
I never tried it, as Susan said I am an enthusiastic user of OmegaT.

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Studio 2009 does Aug 12, 2010

SDL Trados Studio 2009 does. It's a good translation tool

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:43
German to English
+ ...
Depends what you mean by "works with" Aug 12, 2010

My first answer assumed that you meant a CAT tool that actually uses OpenOffice to do the editing. As I wrote, WordFast (WFC) doesn't do this because it is in fact a gigantic Word Macro written in VBA. If you only meant a CAT tool that can be used to translate documents produced by OpenOffice, you can use any CAT tool that can work with files in formats that OpenOffice can process; for example:

Susan Welsh wrote:
I am an enthusiastic user of OmegaT, and don't exactly know the answer to your question. But Open Office can save in .doc, .xls, .ppt etc. formats, so those files can be used in CAT tools that require Micro$oft products.

Quote from OpenOffice Help:
With a few exceptions, Microsoft Office and OpenOffice.org cannot run the same macro code. Microsoft Office uses VBA (Visual Basic for Applications) code, and OpenOffice.org uses Basic code based on the OpenOffice.org API (Application Program Interface) environment. Although the programming language is the same, the objects and methods are different.

Oliver

opolt
opolt  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Heartsome Aug 13, 2010

One CAT tool that claims to handle all OO file formats, old and new, is Heartsome Translation Studio:
http://www.heartsome.net/EN/xlfedit.html

I'm going to test this one soon and see what mileage I can get.

Rodolfo Raya
Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:43
English to Spanish
Swordfish Aug 13, 2010

Hi,

You can use Swordfish to translate any OpenOffice document plus other formats.

Regards,
Rodolfo

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CAT tool that works with Open Office

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »