What are cat tools? Should i be using them?
Thread poster: Markus Heinr (X)

Markus Heinr (X)
German to English
Aug 16, 2010

I keep reading references to CAT tools, what is it? A program of some sort i assume. Is it very useful/worth getting?
Thanks for readingicon_smile.gif

Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:33
Member (2008)
Russian to English
+ ...
CAT tools Aug 16, 2010

Wikipedia is a good place to start for an answer to this question.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer-assisted_translation

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:33
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Definitely Aug 16, 2010

You should definitely consider looking into CAT tools, learning about how to use them, and evaluate as many products as possible --even making a course on each of the main tools-- if you are seriously considering being a full-time translator. CAT tools are as vital for translation work today as a torque wrench is vital in a tyre shop.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What are cat tools? Should i be using them?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search