MA in translation from the University of Western England - feedback needed
Thread poster: Markus Heinr (X)

Markus Heinr (X)
German to English
Aug 21, 2010

I am thinking about doing the MA in Translation from UWE. Has anyone heard anything about it? Or has anyone done it?

It looks like i will also be accepted by other Universities, so i would be interested what kind of reputation UWE has.

wsetters
Local time: 17:34
French to English
I didn't know it had an MA in translation Aug 24, 2010

Xirod wrote:

I am thinking about doing the MA in Translation from UWE. Has anyone heard anything about it? Or has anyone done it?

It looks like i will also be accepted by other Universities, so i would be interested what kind of reputation UWE has.

You got the name wrongicon_wink.gif

In terms of general reputation I'd say it doesn't have a particularly bad or good one. It's a relatively "new" university. I wasn't aware it had a translation MA course though...

Markus Heinr (X)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for the info Aug 27, 2010

Yes i did get the name wrong, my apologiesicon_smile.gif

Thank you for the information, i apreciate it. And yes, they do have an MA in translation.

Louisa Berry
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:34
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
Portsmouth University Aug 27, 2010

I am looking at the MA in Translation offered by Portsmouth University, which seems to have a good reputation for languages and linguistics.

I also looked at the UWE course and if I remember rightly I decided it was too theoretical compared with Portsmouth which seemed to have more courses which were of practical use to me as I am already working as a translator. This may not be the case for you, of course.

Louisa

Markus Heinr (X)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
I looked at portsmouth aswell Aug 28, 2010

As far as i can remember, the fees are trippled if you are not physically in the Uk when you are doing the course. I am not 100 percent certain, i think that was it though. I will look into it again. Does anyone know anyone ho has done the UWE MA?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MA in translation from the University of Western England - feedback needed

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search