Upgrading a cyrillic software program
Thread poster: Guillermo de la Puerta

Guillermo de la Puerta  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:59
German to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 29, 2004

Dear colleagues,

I don't know but perhaps among you, especially those who live in the U.S. and usually translate the language pair:russian-english or english-russian
there is one that uses cyrillic starter kit 4.0 or cyrillic starter kit 5.0 downloaded from:www.cyrillic.com
or www.fingertipsoftware.com.

I had cyrillic starter kit 4.0 which I used in Windows 98.Now I am using a laptop with Windows XP. The 4.0 version doesn't run under Windows XP even If you install and display the program, so I decided to download Cyrillic starer kit 5.0 allowed for 30 days.Now the time for using this trial version has expired and I need to install the 4.0. version just to get the serial number (there is an offer for upgraders) bur I cannot see the program displayed when I make the click on the icon.I only get to see the help files but not the keyboard.
I know perhaps it is a silly question but I need to know the tiny detail.

I have tried to contact technical support but I haven't got any answer yet.I appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance willdlp

[Edited at 2004-01-31 17:02]

Direct link Reply with quote

Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
Do you really need it? Jan 29, 2004

Do you really need any additional software?
Windows XP has built-in support for many languages. In case of any questions - let me know, I will try to help.

Wojtek Froelich

Karen Ordanic  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:59
English to Croatian
+ ...
No additional software is necessary Jan 30, 2004

Wojciech Froelich wrote:

Do you really need any additional software?
Windows XP has built-in support for many languages. In case of any questions - let me know, I will try to help.

Wojtek Froelich

This is correct. I use Serbian Cyrillic, and Russian Cyrillic is also built in.

German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In fact I need it Jan 30, 2004

Hello,
I know there is such a possibility,also with Windows 2000,not only with Windows XP.
The problem is that I have the western keyboard "built in" in my head and it doesn´t match with the russian layout.
For those who know the russian layout by heart and have got used to type with it,no problem.But for those who haven't, it is a problem.Unless it is possible to switch to a fonetic layout...I think it isn't possible.

Thanks anyway

Regards willdlp

[Edited at 2004-01-30 02:35]

Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:59
English to Russian
+ ...
what is yr XP - pro or home edition? Jan 30, 2004

what is yr XP - pro or home edition?

Poland
English to Polish
It is possible Jan 30, 2004

Unless it is possible to switch to a fonetic layout...I think it isn't possible.

You can always create the layout you want.
Check this link:
http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/tools/msklc.mspx

HTH,
Wojtek

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:59
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Try this site Jan 30, 2004

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/PaulGor/kbd_eng.htm

Paul Goryansky provides free download for a Westernized (also known as YaWERTY or Student Cyrillic) keyboard suitable for all Windows versions including XP. He also includes a link to download a Keyboard Manager (also free), so that if his version of a Westernized keyboard is not what you are used to, you can alter it.

I have downloaded both these and used them, and am very satisfied with the result.

German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jan 30, 2004

Hello,
thanks to everyone for all the suggestions.
I have tried all the mentioned solutions,and after all I have decided
myself for Jack's solution which seems to be the easiest.
Goryanski's program is light, simple, and really works , and moreover it is free!
Thanks a lot Jack

Thanks to everybody anyway

P.S.Serguei,my XP version is:Windows XP professional edition 5.1

[Edited at 2004-01-30 20:35]

English to Russian
+ ...
Thank for your comment. Jan 31, 2004

I needed this short piece of info as I have Western Windows XP Pro myself and I have additional MUI (multi user interface) English/Russian module (from Microsoft). After installing MUI windows allow to create user profiles either in russian (windows' menues and help file) or in english on one PC. Obviously cyrillic keyboard layouts are present, as I never met any problems with them. However this MUI works only in Pro version.

But the advice of Jack is great and it is definitely better from the cost-saving point.

In case of interest I can give you the link by email where you can download MUI (abt 95 vtga).

Poland
English to Polish
MUI - is it available as separate (free?) product Jan 31, 2004

AFAIR MUI was available in MSDN (at least at Operating Systems level) and for almost all languages.

Is it really available as separate product?

Thanks in advance,
Wojtek Froelich

English to Russian
+ ...
I have it as a separate archive Feb 2, 2004

of abt 97 MB (rus/eng).

separate MUI for other languages? - honestly speaking - I do not know.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Upgrading a cyrillic software program

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search