Interinstitutional Style Guide and the EC
Thread poster: Pablo Bouvier

Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:50
German to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 29, 2010

What do you think about the EC charging for a printed copy of a document like the Interinstitutional Style Guide?

Imho, such resources should be free and remain available for free, as the EC already lives through the taxes of the different EC Member States. It is not a price issue (10 €), but a principle one.

[Edited at 2010-08-29 18:30 GMT]

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Of course they charge for a hardcopy Aug 29, 2010

... should they mail one to every EU citizen in case they need it?
There's only 500 million of us, it won't cost them (us) more than 5 billion euros... surely that's worth it.
Joking aside, they did it just right: make the contents freely available online in HTML and sell hardcopies to those that want them.
Free hardcopies would mean lots of requests from people who don't really need the thing, and lots of wasted money.
They could have made it available as a single-file download (pdf and/or word and/or HTML), but that's a minor issue. Quite possibly there is one somewhere on a different site.

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 16:50
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
As far as I know... Aug 29, 2010

... it has been available on line for a long time!

TargamaT team  Identity Verified
Syria
Local time: 18:50
Member (2010)
English to Arabic
+ ...
It is here... Aug 30, 2010

http://ec.europa.eu/translation/writing/style_guides/english/style_guide_en.pdf

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 22:50
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
In my humble opinion Aug 30, 2010

EC publishes a number of style guides, and it continues to publish more guides. I think that EC needs fund to continue this mission, and I have been happy to pay for the documents. I prefer to pay again (with a small amount) to obtain its good publications.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

xxxNMR
France
French to Dutch
+ ...
It is still published online Aug 30, 2010

and for free.
http://publications.europa.eu/code/en/en-6000000.htm

Only the printed copy costs € 10 (which should cover additonal printing costs and postage).

If less people buy the paper copy => less trees sacrified for the EU.

German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
EC need funds? Aug 30, 2010

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.) wrote:

EC publishes a number of style guides, and it continues to publish more guides. I think that EC needs fund to continue this mission, and I have been happy to pay for the documents. I prefer to pay again (with a small amount) to obtain its good publications.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Need funds? If I am not wrong, the Interinistitutional Style Guide was done voluntary by different language industry related organisations working for the EC as a matter of prestige (and to give some criterion unity to their translations). This mean at no cost for the EC, but at a cost for its members and partners.

Some years ago, the EC tried to do the same with the IATE, giving exclusive access right to the partner organizations or to the citizens by paying a fee. But the pressure exercised by the translators and other users was so great that they resigned to do it.

As the EC is already supported trough member state taxes (that is, by all the european citizens) why should we pay them twice? The Interinstitutional Style Guide can still be read online, but is no longer available for free as a downloadable pdf file as it has ben during many years.

Imho, I think that to allow public institutions to finance themselves with private money is something that is becoming fashionable in a very dangerous manner. This is the cause why I said it was not a question of money, but of principles.

[Edited at 2010-08-30 08:33 GMT]

Evija Rimšāne  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 18:50
English to Latvian
For one's peace of mind... Aug 30, 2010

...one can assume that it is a part of the EU concern about the environment and climate changes: by asking you to pay for the printed Style Guide, they can save a tree because you rather choose the free online version than order the printed one.icon_smile.gif
I'm just joking, but there might be an inkling of truth.

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 16:50
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Pablo Aug 30, 2010

You are wrong! The interinstitutional style guide was the result of active and efficient cooperation between the various European institutions and was intended at first for internal use...

Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
It is not new at all Aug 30, 2010

Pablo Bouvier wrote:

Imho, I think that to allow public institutions to finance themselves with private money is something that is becoming fashionable in a very dangerous manner. This is the cause why I said it was not a question of money, but of principles.

[Edited at 2010-08-30 08:33 GMT]

Hi, Pablo,

I don't really understand your point. There many public services which are paid for in part or totally by its users.

This type of policy prevents overconsumption (only those who need it really use it) and also saves tax money to those who don't use these services.

For example, if you ask the Spanish National Library for a copy of a book which is out of print, they will happily make the copies and send them over to you for a fee.

And this is not something new.

When you take the bus or the metro, you buy a ticket: the metro and the bus services are being paid for partially or totally by its users.

Daniel

German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Interinstitutional Style Guide and the EC Aug 30, 2010

FarkasAndras wrote:

... should they mail one to every EU citizen in case they need it?
There's only 500 million of us, it won't cost them (us) more than 5 billion euros... surely that's worth it.
Joking aside, they did it just right: make the contents freely available online in HTML and sell hardcopies to those that want them.
Free hardcopies would mean lots of requests from people who don't really need the thing, and lots of wasted money.
They could have made it available as a single-file download (pdf and/or word and/or HTML), but that's a minor issue. Quite possibly there is one somewhere on a different site.

You are right about the cost of hardcopies, but so far I can remember the ISG has been downloadable for free as single pdf-file during many years.

And there is any need of hardcopies, as it is very easier and quicker to search trough a searchable pdf-file, what can not be said about hard-copies.

German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Please, forgive me for my mistake. Aug 30, 2010

Well, I was very wrong about the online avaibility of the International EC Style Guide as it has been shown here. Apparently, I have not been able to stop long enough to find the links.

Therefore, I would like to ask you to forgive me for my mistake.

Is the spanish version still avalilable too? Do not mind, even beeing a translator in a country in recession, I am still able to pay the ten €. After all, tomorrow is another day.... icon_biggrin.gif

[Edited at 2010-08-31 14:46 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Interinstitutional Style Guide and the EC

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search