Reverse picture search
Thread poster: MacGruber
MacGruber
Sweden
Local time: 10:18
Aug 30, 2010

Hi, new here!

I'm wondering whether anyone out there has been able to complete reverse picture searches from English -> your own language.

I translate technical stuff from English to Swedish, and I often use Google image search to find out what the things I translate actually look like. Now, when using regular google searches I'm sometimes not able to find the Swedish equivalent of an English term, or it might take some time and elaboration to create a smart search that will find the word. So what would be really great is a reverse picture search, where I can find pictures of X via google's image search, and then make a reverse image search to find pictures of X on Swedish web sites.

To my knowledge Google doesn't have reverse image search (except for Google Goggles, but I think it's only meant for cell phone users), but there are other web sites for that (such as TinEye). Are there any sites with a reverse picture search/language select function? Or do you know of any tricks or plug-in programs with which this can be achieved?

Answers are greatly appreciated!

Direct link Reply with quote

Mykhailo Voloshko  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 11:18
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
retrievr Aug 30, 2010

You can try this: http://labs.systemone.at/retrievr
And please tell us the results.

MacGruber
Sweden
TOPIC STARTER
Not exactly the thing I was looking for, but thanks Aug 30, 2010

Mykhailo Voloshko wrote:

You can try this: http://labs.systemone.at/retrievr
And please tell us the results.

Thanks for the tip. Not sure if I'm doing it right, but it doesn't really return the kind of hits I'm looking for. A picture of a Volvo on Retrievr:
http://labs.systemone.at/retrievr#locator=upload:upload.url.aHR0cDovL3d3dy5hdXRvbW90b3JzcG9ydC5zZS9iaWdwaXgvMjAwNy9Wb2x2b19TNjBfZnJvbnRfc3Rvci5qcGc=.jpg

compared to TinEye:
http://www.tineye.com/search/b7644b2a4eb4a50038075db6fb23f853d9ab645f/

As you can see, TinEye grabs all the instances of the same picture, which would do it for me. All I'm missing is a language filter.

Now that I looked a little closer at their web site, I saw they had a forum there as well, so I might just ask if they are planning on making it possible to filter searches by language. I'll post here if anything turns up - I really think it could be of a lot of help to have such a search tool. At least for me, anyway.

MacGruber
Sweden
TOPIC STARTER
On its way, apparently... Aug 31, 2010

So I asked TinEye about this, and the answer I got was that they are planning on creating some kind of language filter is in development. Unclear when it will happen, though.

Don't know how many here that are interested abou that, but I wrote I'd tell you when I knew more. If anyone knows about of an existing language filtered reverse picture search engine, feel free to comment.

Mykhailo Voloshko  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 11:18
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
thanks Sep 1, 2010

MacGruber wrote:

So I asked TinEye about this, and the answer I got was that they are planning on creating some kind of language filter is in development.

Thank you!
It will be great if they create a language filter.

PCovs
Denmark
Member (2003)
English to Danish
+ ...
In the same situation Sep 1, 2010

Haven't I just hoped and wished for the exact same thing.
I'm also first and foremost a technical translator relying very often on picture searches to find just that little thingy on this great big machine!

Please let us know of any progress in this field.
Thanks for bringing it up.

MacGruber
Sweden
TOPIC STARTER
A trick when using Google Sep 2, 2010

Nice to know others would like to see the same feature.

I just found out about a way to use Google's image search: if you enter "site:.se" (or "site:.xx" where "xx" is the domain you wish to search for pictures in) in front of your search string, you'll get the pictures from only that domain containing your search string. I just tried it for a term I was looking for, and found it.

It'll do for now.

Mette Melchior  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Danish
+ ...
Reverse picture search would indeed be handy! Sep 2, 2010

MacGruber wrote:

I just found out about a way to use Google's image search: if you enter "site:.se" (or "site:.xx" where "xx" is the domain you wish to search for pictures in) in front of your search string, you'll get the pictures from only that domain containing your search string.

It is useful to be able to restrict searches by the domain but this only works when you know what you are looking for. When you don't have a clue what a certain thing could be called in the target language and the usual resources don't offer any help, you then have to guess your way until you find a reliable reference or info that can help you provide an appropriate translation. I also often use Google's picture search in this process - but imagine a tool that would allow you to find similar pictures on web pages in a certain language!

TinEye does this, which is quite amazing, but it only seems to find the exact same picture and not other pictures containing the same thing. The sister project Visual Search Lab tries to identify pictures which are visually similar, so a combination of the two would be perfect!

MacGruber
Sweden
TOPIC STARTER
Exact searches might be difficult (today) Sep 2, 2010

Mette Melchior wrote:

TinEye does this, which is quite amazing, but it only seems to find the exact same picture and not other pictures containing the same thing. The sister project Visual Search Lab tries to identify pictures which are visually similar, so a combination of the two would be perfect!

Yes, interesting site! Idée has a whole range of similar search projects going, it seems. http://ideeinc.com/

Not that I know anything about programming, but I can well imagine it being extremely difficult to teach a search algorithm to differentiate between, let's say, two types of (mechanical) nuts. It seems to me we still need humans to perform the finer differentiation. Of course, there is quite a bit of computerized types of recognition today (faces, characters), but a lot of effort and resources has been poured into those particular areas. I don't know if those kinds of recognition algorithms are easily applied to everything else, or possible to generalize. Well, who knows what might happen the next ten years...

So even though TinEye's searches are restricted to the same pictures, it still seems the best bet, as a lot of "junk" would probably show up if the search was too fuzzy. Until TinEye develop a language filter I will use googles "site:.xx" feature. Googles domain search might actually be more useful, come to think of it, unless TinEye makes it possible to upload a batch of pictures to search for. Otherwise you'd need to make a separate reverse image search for each picture.

[Edited at 2010-09-02 14:47 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Reverse picture search

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search