Wordfast Classic/Trados Compatibility
Thread poster: joehlindsay
joehlindsay  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:45
French to English
+ ...
Aug 30, 2010

I very often reread trados files using Wordfast Classic. Howvere, a couple of times with very large files, the Wordfast crashes and will not stay open. Is any one familiar with this problem? Are there limits to Trados/Wordfast compatibility?

Direct link Reply with quote

Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 02:45
French to English
MS word problem? Aug 30, 2010

You mentioned that the crashes happen with very large files... I would say this is more likely to be an MS Word problem than a Trados/WF problem.

joehlindsay  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:45
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Any solution? Aug 30, 2010

Thanks. That had occurred to me. Are you aware of any solution?

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 07:45
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Word Template Add-ins Aug 31, 2010

Lori Cirefice wrote:

You mentioned that the crashes happen with very large files... I would say this is more likely to be an MS Word problem than a Trados/WF problem.

Trados and WordFast Classic interfaces on Word are add-in templates (bundles of Word macros) that I never found compatibility problems or crashes. Word can crash sometimes with bad *.doc files. In Proz.com forum we usually suggest to repair the *.doc file by 1) following Microsoft suggestion e.g. Open+Repair option, 2) if source is *.rtf, save as *.doc; if source is *.doc, save as *.rtf, 3) copy all and open/save in a new Word file, 4) copy all and open/save in a new text/unicode file (*.txt), 5) split into many smaller/less complicated files with text boxes/graphics (virtual memory errors to certain graphics). Please select the one by taking account of the conservation of document formats. These may still unsuccessfull sometimes.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

[Edited at 2010-08-31 08:32 GMT]

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:45
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Most probably, not a WF issue Aug 31, 2010

MS Word is known to crash on large document even if you don’t work with WF or any other third-party program or addon. That’s life. If it’s not heavily formatted, you can try curing it by OpenOffice.org Writer, open, make a small change (replace a space with a space, for example), save. Sometimes this helps.

Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 02:45
French to English
split file up Sep 1, 2010

or open/repair sometimes helps too

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast Classic/Trados Compatibility

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search