Free word count program for translators
Thread poster: isaac
isaac
English to Chinese
Jan 31, 2004

To help translators to scope a project, GlobalRendering.com has developed a program called Transltor's Abacus. It's a simple to use program to count HTML, PDF, DOC, RTF, and TXT files. Just drag and drop files or even folders to be counted to the program and a Word Count Report will be presented. The program can be downloaded from http://www.globalrendering.com/download.html.

Best of all, the program is absolutely free.

Best,
Isaac

Direct link Reply with quote

Agua  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thank you very much. Jan 31, 2004

Hello,

Just wanted to say thank you.

Regards,

Mar

[Edited at 2004-01-31 23:44]

Abdellatif Bouhid  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:32
English to French
+ ...
Choukrane Feb 1, 2004

Thank you,

abdellatif

bergazy  Identity Verified
Croatia
Local time: 23:32
Croatian to Italian
+ ...
Practicount Bye Bye! Feb 1, 2004

That's all I need to say)

Oksana Kornitskaja  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:32
German to Ukrainian
+ ...
Shortcomings Feb 1, 2004

Just be careful and give it a good check before using it for your business. It doesn't count even headers and footers in Word documents, not saying about textboxes and inserted objects. As for pdf, it's pretty fast but the count is mostly wrong, especially for non-English texts. I've got differences even when compared to counting the text from pdf with Word.

isaac
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
Keep your PractiCount too Feb 2, 2004

Marko Kovacic wrote:

That's all I need to say)

We think PractiCount is also a very good program. It does have other invoicing features that we don't have. If you already have it, you should keep it and compare the word count. Different programs use different standard for word count and no one can be more precise than the other. It all depends on the nature of the file.

isaac
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
Meant to be improved Feb 2, 2004

Oksana Kornitskaja wrote:

Just be careful and give it a good check before using it for your business. It doesn't count even headers and footers in Word documents, not saying about textboxes and inserted objects. As for pdf, it's pretty fast but the count is mostly wrong, especially for non-English texts. I've got differences even when compared to counting the text from pdf with Word.

Everything you have said was right. The tool is meant for replacing manual cut and paste only. You will be amazed that Trados, MS Word, PDFCount, PratiCount, and Total Assistant all provide different word count for the same file. It is because of different way of segmentation. Until there is a standard all programs will report different word count. LISA has formed a workgroup to deal with this issue. As member of the translation community, you can make suggestions on how to improve the accuracy. LISA's web address is http://www.lisa.org/oscar/segmentation_wordcount_call_for_members.htm.

Once upon a time I almost divorced my wife because we came up with different word count. Since we have used the Abacus, we know we have disagreement and we let Abacus take all the blames. We live happily ever since.

Ines Garcia Botana  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:32
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thank you Feb 2, 2004

This is only to say thank you so much!

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 23:32
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Several HTML pages turned out to have 0 words in them Feb 3, 2004

isaac wrote:
Transltor's Abacus ... [is a] program to count HTML, PDF, DOC, RTF, and TXT files.

I counted several HTML pages and the word count was always 0 words. Perhaps my HTML pages didn't pass the program's validator.

Nikita Kobrin  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 00:32
Member (2010)
English to Russian
+ ...
I get the same result - 0 Feb 3, 2004

Samuel Murray-Smit wrote:
I counted several HTML pages and the word count was always 0 words.

sylver  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:32
English to French
One interesting feature that has gone unnoticed Feb 3, 2004

Add some files, then click "translation quote". Select the languages you are interested in, click OK, then proceed to the Wordcount, and you will notice that at the bottom, a couples lines are added to give you a quote.... their quote. Indeed this program is not meant for translator but for potential customers.

For instance, I have an HTML file for which they count 4833 words (actually, that file is a little over 5000 words) and they would charge $872 for French ($0.18) and $1017 for Thai ($0.21).

Cool.

As far as I am concerned, the wordcount is not reliable and accurate enough, and the software lack autority. However, on the positive side, it could help me show my customers that my rates ain't so bad, after all.

(just kidding)

isaac
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
The reason being ... Feb 3, 2004

Nikita Kobrin wrote:

Samuel Murray-Smit wrote:
I counted several HTML pages and the word count was always 0 words.

If the HTML file only has javascript code then the word count will be zero. Abacus doesn't go into analyzing the javascript code to pickup the translatable text. Abacus also ignores all the comments blocks, and the style blocks. The result can also be zero when the HTML file is invalid, i.e. there might be HTML error in the file.

xxxaes  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:02
Korean to English
+ ...
Thanks Feb 3, 2004

Thanks for a useful info.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Free word count program for translators

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search