Difference between Italian and swiss-italian (Fr-CH FR)
Thread poster: Abakus-tekst

Abakus-tekst  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:59
English to German
+ ...
Sep 9, 2010

Can italian and french texts be used as native swiss-italian texts and native swiss-french texts? Is a localization of french and italian texts into swiss texts necessary? How will swiss native readers react on regular italian and french texts?
Are there differences and if so, what kind of differences (examples, if possible)? replies from swiss colleagues would be pretty welcome.

Thank you for your help.

Andreas, Abakus-Text

alessandra bocco  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
Swiss Italian Sep 9, 2010

I'm Italian and I never imagined that Swiss Italian was different... but some time ago I was asked to do the proofreading of a medical text (EN>IT) and I thought the translator was crazy since he/she used some terms that were really strange (they exist in Italian but are not used in that context or are not used at all...such as "medicamento" instead of "medicinale" just to show an example). I warned the agency about it and they told me that the translator was Swiss and that the document was for the Swiss market, so I had to leave the terms as they were... What a shock!
Alessandra

stefania castelli
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
Useful link :) Sep 9, 2010

I'd like to suggest this useful link

http://sites.google.com/site/elvetismi/a

Yes, Swiss Italian is slightly different from Italian spoken in Italy.

Stefania

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Difference between Italian and swiss-italian (Fr-CH FR)

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search