Original quotes on cinema by Richard Shusterman and Peter Kubelka
Thread poster: Susan Nicholls

Susan Nicholls  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:21
French to English
+ ...
Sep 15, 2010

Hello

I'm in the unfortunate situation of having to do a rush translation of quite a complex text on contemporary art and cinema. It's a French document with quotes translated from the English. Ideally I'd like to source the original English and indeed have done so in every case but two where I can't seem to get hold of the source or have any luck with Google. Kudoz didn't seem the right place to ask for help since I'm dealing with whole sentences here, not terminology as such. I'm not entierly sure if this forum is the right place either: forgive me if this query is out of line.
If anyone has any ideas, or perhaps the texts themselves, or access to internet resources I don't... it's a shot in the dark I realise, but here are the quotes just in case! Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Richard Schusterman: «L’auto-représentation fait toujours partie de la sculpture de soi et l’auto-fiction est en quelque sorte inévitable. Se modeler soi-même demande à avoir une image de soi, de son propre devenir. Les efforts déployés pour faire sa propre autocritique impliquent de pouvoir se représenter soi comme objet de la critique.»
See Asselin, Olivier, Pontbriand, Chantal, "Self-Styling after the 'End of Art', an interview with Richard Shusterman", Parachute 105 (2002), p. 61.)

«Les images projetées frappent l’écran. Par exemple, quand vous laissez le projecteur tourner à vide, vous entendez le rythme. C’est un rythme de base du cinéma. […] Je pensais, l’autre jour, que je suis le seul qui ait jamais fait des films métriques, avec des éléments métriques. […] Comprenez bien ce que je veux dire par métrique. C’est l’expression allemande “Metrisches System”. La musique classique, par exemple, possède des notes entières, des demi-notes, et des quart de notes. Non pas les images comme notes, mais les sections de temps qui sont dans mes films.» (Kubelka, Peter, «La théorie du cinéma métrique», in Peter Kubelka, dir. Christian Lebrat, Paris, Paris Expérimental, 1990, pp. 61-84.)
The English ref. is Peter Kubelka, “The Theory of Metrical Film”, in The Avant-garde Film: A Reader of Theory and Criticism, ed. P. Adams Sitney (Anthology Film Archives, 1987), pp. 138-159. 61-84.).

Thank you!!

Direct link Reply with quote

Kate Chaffer
Italy
Local time: 23:21
Italian to English
First one Sep 15, 2010

I've found the first one here:

http://www.artsandletters.fau.edu/humanitieschair/parachute.html

"Self-representation is always part of self-fashioning and autofiction is in some sense inevitable. To fashion oneself implies having some image of what one is and what one wants to become. Efforts of self-criticism involve representing the self as an object for criticism."

French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Sep 15, 2010

Thank you very much indeed! Can I ask how you did so?!! Please call on me to return the favour!

Kate Chaffer
Italy
Local time: 23:21
Italian to English
Googling Sep 15, 2010

After reading the first part of the article and finding the term self-fashioning, I Googled self-representation, self-fashioning and Shusterman and it was the second hit.

Glad to have been of help. Hope you find the second one!

French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The art of googling Sep 15, 2010

So the question should be: why didn't I find it! I must have googled something else. There is an art to it, isn't there? I thought I had mastered it, but obviously not!
Thanks again.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Original quotes on cinema by Richard Shusterman and Peter Kubelka

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search