Thread poster: Omar Ali

Omar Ali  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:44
Member (2006)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Oct 5, 2010

Dear fellow language professionals,

As you know, consistency within the translated files is a main issue specially when you lead a team of translators who work in the same project. To this end, CAT tools are not that effective because you cannot guarantee that all participants will check every new term against the TM. My question: is there any tool that can check consistency (i.e. the same term/sentence has been translated the same) all over the files?

Direct link Reply with quote

Hna
Local time: 17:44
English to Russian
Did you try any other CAT? Oct 5, 2010

There are other CATs which have very useful tools to check consistency?
I know one which checks every case the term is used in not a proper way.
As I understand in this forum it is not welcomed to promote any other tool except TRADOS.

[Редактировалось 2010-10-05 13:59 GMT]

[Редактировалось 2010-10-05 14:03 GMT]

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:44
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
Studio 2009 in combination with Multiterm Oct 5, 2010

I am sure that there are many tools which can achieve it, the one known to me is Studio 2009 which works together with glossary component Multiterm.

If a source segment contains term which is present in the glossary, you can check if the target term contains translation of that term.

Best Regards
Stanislaw

Peter Linton  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Multiterm Oct 5, 2010

I agree with Stanislaw, and would add that as the team leader, it is your job to prepare MultiTerm and clean it up regularly so that only the approved terminology is available.

I think you can go further and tell your team that they must use MultiTerm properly, or else receive less money.

This is a case where human intervention by the team leader is far more effective than any computer tool.

Member (2006)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tool other than CAT! Oct 5, 2010

Thanks Stanislaw and Peter. I know CAT tools can achieve this to some extent. But as I mentioned in my post, the problem I am facing is that every team member is required to deliver a daily quota and therefore difficult for him to check every single term in the TM/multi-term. The issue is not always with ambiguous terms that everyone has to look up, but also with easy but repeated sentences. It is always a client's concern to see that the same sentence has been translated differently (even if both are correct). Actually I am trying to find a tool, other than CAT, to check this. I hope anyone can give us a clue!

Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:44
German to English
Try XBench Oct 5, 2010

ApSIC XBench provides the type of comparison you're looking for. It checks for consistency of translations, numbers, inconsistency of source tests, as well as use of specified terminology. I don't know how well it works with monolingual files (might take some tinkering), or on non-Latin alphabets (probably not).

The program is free, so no investment is required.
http://www.apsic.com/en/products_xbench.html

Jabberwock  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
Xbench and CheckMate Oct 5, 2010

You could try Xbench, some people praise its QA module:

http://www.apsic.com/en/products_xbench.html

Another option is CheckMate:

http://okapi.opentag.com/applications.html

but I am not sure it does terminology checking.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Xbench should do! Oct 5, 2010

I agree.

Member (2006)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Xbench! Oct 5, 2010

Kevin, Jabberwock, thank you very much! Xbench is the one! I tried it and it worked fine! Thank you all!

Peter Linton  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
Swedish to English
+ ...
TM / MultiTerm Oct 5, 2010

Omar kamal wrote:
...every team member is required to deliver a daily quota and therefore difficult for him to check every single term in the TM/multi-term.

There is no need to check every single itemi. MultiTerm will do the searching for you and automatically find terms that your team can easily copy into the document. This is a great way to achieve consistency.
I am trying to find a tool, other than CAT, to check this.

By all means try Xbench, but I think you are underrating MultiTerm.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Finding a tool to maintain consistency

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search