Seeking good English-Spanish medical dictionaries
Thread poster: Marion Rhodes

Marion Rhodes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:44
English to German
+ ...
Oct 17, 2010

I am writing an eHow article on translating medical terms from English into Spanish for medical practitioners and am wondering if anyone could recommend good dictionaries/glossaries for this purpose, both online and as hard copy. I'd welcome your suggestions as well as any additional info you can provide on those resources! Thanks in advance! (If you don't want your name mentioned in the article, please state so in your post.)

Direct link Reply with quote

Reed James
Chile
Local time: 04:44
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
Here are three Oct 18, 2010

Marion Rhodes wrote:

I am writing an eHow article on translating medical terms from English into Spanish for medical practitioners and am wondering if anyone could recommend good dictionaries/glossaries for this purpose, both online and as hard copy. I'd welcome your suggestions as well as any additional info you can provide on those resources! Thanks in advance! (If you don't want your name mentioned in the article, please state so in your post.)

Hi Marion,

Please visit my ProZ profile and check out Spanmed, a 30,000 word Spanish-English medical glossary I compiled. At Google Books, you can see the Steadman's Spanish-English Medical Dictionary. A printed book that I have on my shelf is the English-Spanish Spanish-English Medical Dictionary by Glenn T. Rogers, MD. It's designed for doctors to carry around in their coat pocket, but what it has in it is right on the money.

Hope that helps and please let me know if I may be of additional help.

Reed

Catherine GUILLIAUMET  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:44
English to French
+ ...
Also, the new Medical forum on ProZ Oct 18, 2010

Hi, Marion,

You can also ask for references to other specialized colleagues on the new Medical forum created on ProZ at our demand ten days ago !

It's here : http://www.proz.com/forum/medical-986.html

Have a nice day

Catherine

[Edited at 2010-10-18 14:41 GMT]

Harrison Pardue
United States
Local time: 02:44
Spanish to English
+ ...
Complete Medical Spanish Oct 18, 2010

Hello Marion

I am very happy with McGraw-Hill's Complete Medical Spanish Second Condition. It covers numerous practical medical situations and includes exercises to test yourself. What I really like are the long lists of vocabulary with variations from country to country. This book is useful for people fluent in both languages in addition to healthcare professionals who may not feel so comfortable speaking in Spanish, as there are useful questions to assist you in using the vocabulary.

However, do be aware that this is not a typical dictionary. It is more of a guide for healthcare workers who are not already proficient in Spanish.

JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 03:44
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Very helpful. Oct 18, 2010

Reed D James wrote:

Please visit my ProZ profile and check out Spanmed, a 30,000 word Spanish-English medical glossary I compiled. At Google Books, you can see the Steadman's Spanish-English Medical Dictionary. A printed book that I have on my shelf is the English-Spanish Spanish-English Medical Dictionary by Glenn T. Rogers, MD. It's designed for doctors to carry around in their coat pocket, but what it has in it is right on the money.

Hope that helps and please let me know if I may be of additional help.

Reed

Thanks so much, Reed. That's very helpful!

Marion Rhodes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:44
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Oct 19, 2010

Thanks to all of you for your excellent recommendations. You've been very helpful!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Seeking good English-Spanish medical dictionaries

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search