Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:46
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Oct 19, 2010

"Yes, I would be interested in selling my glossary through a ProZ.com venture.
This is in no way a commitment on your part, nor a guarantee on the part of ProZ.com."

Has anyone else noticed this and wonder what it might be for?

While uploading terms to your personal glossary, automatically, you are presented with this cryptic little message.

Anyone have any info on this?

Michael

woordenboek.mx

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2010-10-20 09:15 GMT]

Cristina Heraud-van Tol
Cristina Heraud-van Tol  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 16:46
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Don't know more than you do... Oct 20, 2010

I always see this when I upload my glossaries (I have plenty), and what I think is that one day ProZ may be thinking of building a large glossary with all our entries (either online or hardcopy) and therefore, some of those entries would be part of your very own work and research. So perhaps you would be interested in selling your glossary to Proz? This could be the reason but I'm not 100% sure.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 17:46
SITE FOUNDER
Not sure... Oct 20, 2010

I have no idea. That may be a very old message, we'll find it and remove it. There are no plans along those lines.

hazmatgerman (X)
hazmatgerman (X)
Local time: 23:46
English to German
@Henry D: Oct 20, 2010

why not? It might be a good way to earn money for the contributors to the common "knowledge pile" and could be redistributed via say lower membership fees for diligent contributors. Just because it is available "free" does not mean there would be no takers for some sort of custom-made product. Filtered by fields, for one?
How about that?
Best
M.A.T.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:46
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Henry: Oct 20, 2010

OK. Good.

It had been worrying me slightly, as I don't really believe in selling terminology. Translations are one thing, but I like to try and keep the words themselves free.

I am constantly working on adding useful terms for my fellow (Dutch-English) translators, and would never think about charging them for this. I wouldn't, because I get so much in return, that it would be silly to try and get my share for free.

I do have a number of things I would real
... See more
OK. Good.

It had been worrying me slightly, as I don't really believe in selling terminology. Translations are one thing, but I like to try and keep the words themselves free.

I am constantly working on adding useful terms for my fellow (Dutch-English) translators, and would never think about charging them for this. I wouldn't, because I get so much in return, that it would be silly to try and get my share for free.

I do have a number of things I would really like to see improved in the Terminology part of Proz.com however. Primarily: a way of exporting (my) glossaries, in order to be able to modify and improve them easier, and then re-upload them. As things stand, I can only really add new things in between, while trying not to make too much of a mess. I'm sure that if Proz revamped the import/export capabilities of the Personal Glossary area, it would vastly improve overall term searches and databases throughout the site. In any case, they really ought to, lest people like TermWiki etc do it first.

Michael
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:46
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
What for? Oct 20, 2010

Michael J.W. Beijer wrote:
"Yes, I would be interested in selling my glossary through a ProZ.com venture.
This is in no way a commitment on your part, nor a guarantee on the part of ProZ.com."

But glossaries are already easily accessible with a Google search... Who and how would buy them?

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
Option removed Oct 21, 2010

Hi all,

I just wanted to let you know that the "Yes, I would be interested in selling my glossary through a ProZ.com venture. This is in no way a commitment on your part, nor a guarantee on the part of ProZ.com." message shown when making automatic glossary entries has been removed.

As regards glossaries and the possibility of selling them, like Henry said, there are no plans along these lines.

Best regards,

Lucia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Yes, I would be interested in selling my glossary through a ProZ.com venture."

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »