I need some help for my degree thesis on terminology for translators: culture-specific terms
Thread poster: ElisaReca
ElisaReca
ElisaReca
Local time: 18:47
Oct 26, 2010

Hello, I need some help for my degree thesis on terminology for translators.

Do you know any bi- ormultilingual term banks where it comes out the presence of culture-specific terms, in other words where it comes out the terminologist's effort to manage cultural differences in proposing the translation of a specific term into another language?

Thank you so much for your attention.

Best regards

Elisa Baldoni

[Subject edited by staff or mo
... See more
Hello, I need some help for my degree thesis on terminology for translators.

Do you know any bi- ormultilingual term banks where it comes out the presence of culture-specific terms, in other words where it comes out the terminologist's effort to manage cultural differences in proposing the translation of a specific term into another language?

Thank you so much for your attention.

Best regards

Elisa Baldoni

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2010-10-26 15:15 GMT]
Collapse

Cristina Valenza
Cristina Valenza
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
IATE Oct 26, 2010

Maybe it is too technical, but you can try IATE,
www.iate.europa.eu.

Best regards,
Cristina

Edward Vreeburg
Edward Vreeburg  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
perhaps an example could clarify this? Oct 26, 2010

maybe you are looking for iate.europe.eu
or simply any encyclopedia? (wikipedia),...

Or are you looking for what the Dutch words of "Gezelligheid" and "dropjes" mean?
(or HEMA-worst for that matter)

Ed

ElisaReca
ElisaReca
TOPIC STARTER
response Oct 26, 2010

Thanks for your quick response. I'm looking for multilingual terminological databases where it comes out the 'cultural difference' within the camp 'terminological equivalence' (between for example en-ita or de-ita). Sure I need term banks referring to specialized languages caracterized by many culture-bound terms such as these of legal sector where often there is no conceptual equivalence in translation...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I need some help for my degree thesis on terminology for translators: culture-specific terms

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »