usefulness of the glossaries
Thread poster: David Hollywood

David Hollywood  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:09
Member (2006)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Dec 16, 2010

glossaries are a source of information and help to us all but my question relates to the reliabilty of the content ... if I so wish, I can post a glossary entry and there it is in the files but I may have selected an inappropriate answer and it nevertheless is written in stone in the glossaries ... is there any monitoring of glossary entries?

Looking forward to all commentsicon_smile.gif

David Hollywood


 

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 11:09
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Kudoz output Dec 16, 2010

Glossary out of Kudoz output is not much ideal:it is the reply preferred by the asker e.g. for specific contexts. Like a dictionary, you must select the terms carefully or glossaries will mess up your professional translation output.

Soonthon Lupkitaro


 

Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:09
English to Japanese
+ ...
Agree 120% Dec 16, 2010

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.) wrote:

Glossary out of Kudoz output is not much ideal:it is the reply preferred by the asker e.g. for specific contexts. Like a dictionary, you must select the terms carefully or glossaries will mess up your professional translation output.

Soonthon Lupkitaro


Like Soonthon wrote, KudoZ glossary would be a help to a certain extent; not ALL answers are correct, either being selected by the asker who has limited knowledge of the subject and thus choosing the wrong answer, or that particular term or phrase is used in a specific context and does not always mean the selected answer, i.e. the meanings can vary depending on the context. And it is the translator's duty to choose the correct answers, and sometimes we find them among the unchosen suggestions given by other peers.


 

hazmatgerman (X)
Local time: 06:09
English to German
with Dec 16, 2010

both previous commentators. Plus corrective remarks against existing entries may be in order to avoid pitfalls the non-specialist user may be unaware of.

 

Noni Gilbert  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:09
Spanish to English
+ ...
Learning to use the KudoZ glossary Dec 16, 2010

Perhaps the glossary should come with quite a fierce warning about the manner in which it is compiled, ie that there is in fact no control of the quality of the content (although 90% of it is excellent quality). To make efficient use of it, it is vital to read the original question and the discussion which led to the glossary and entry, and temper your judgement of the quality of the entry with this information. (This step may also lead to you to an alternative, and perhaps more suitable, option). Another thing to look at is the date of the entry - jargo, for example, evolves and changes quickly and what was spot on in 2001 may not be the right choice today.

And, although this is not what was originally under discussion, may I take the opportunity to make my oft-repeated plea: please be careful when making glossary entries - try to eliminate typos which may have survived the original posting of the question, and remember that it is more efficient to make the glossary entry in the infinitive/singular, as appropriate (otherwise someone searching for the term may not arrive at it).

Thanks everyone - despite its drawbacks, I find the glossary extraordinarily useful!

Noni


 

Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 06:09
German to Serbian
+ ...
I disagree Dec 16, 2010

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.) wrote:
Like a dictionary, you must select the terms carefully or glossaries will mess up your professional translation output.

Soonthon Lupkitaro


I disagree in terms that KudoZ glossary structure is nowhere near a professional dictionary. No parts of speech mentioned, nor accompanying collocations and examples. Check the structure and organization of a professional, reviewed dictionary ( hard copy) and see for yourself.



[Edited at 2010-12-16 10:44 GMT]


 

Frances Leggett  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:09
Italian to English
+ ...
In the same way as a dictionary... Dec 16, 2010

Lingua 5B wrote:

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.) wrote:
Like a dictionary, you must select the terms carefully or glossaries will mess up your professional translation output.

Soonthon Lupkitaro


I disagree in terms that KudoZ glossary structure is nowhere near a professional dictionary. No parts of speech mentioned, nor accompanying collocations and examples. Check the structure and organization of a professional, reviewed dictionary ( hard copy) and see for yourself.



[Edited at 2010-12-16 10:44 GMT]



was what I think Soonthon intended. When you use a dictionary, you also have to be careful to select the correct term based on the context you have and not just the first term that comes up and the KudoZ glossary is the same - you have to evaluate the entries yourself based on your context and your own reasoning before using a KudoZ reply, i.e. reading explanations and references provided etc.


 

LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:09
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Will will term search ever have fuzzy match capability? Dec 16, 2010

aceavila - Noni wrote:

...please be careful when making glossary entries - try to eliminate typos which may have survived the original posting of the question, and remember that it is more efficient to make the glossary entry in the infinitive/singular, as appropriate (otherwise someone searching for the term may not arrive at it).
Noni


That's an excellent point - thanks for stressing it! It's frustrating to not find a particular term because you haven't hit on the right form.

Perhaps we will get partial/fuzzy search capability soon (site staff, are you listening?icon_wink.gif ). It can't be that hard to implement.


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

usefulness of the glossaries

Advanced search







Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search