Liability Insurance
Thread poster: swedrom (X)
swedrom (X)
swedrom (X)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Jan 28, 2011

Hi,
Does anyone have any experience in professional/liability insurance for translators? I have been offered a translation job and the potential employer is asking if I have professional insurance. How much does it cost and what are the requirements to get insurance? Do they ask for certifications etc or just about anyone taking on a job can have it? Any advice would be very much appreciated! Thanks.
Val

David Wright
David Wright  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 16:11
German to English
+ ...
I have had it for 30 years Jan 28, 2011

more or less - I pay about 360 euros a year, it's a tax-deductible expense. It covers me if anyone makes a claim against me on the basis of a translation I have done; I can also have translations done by up to a maximum of 3 people. I only once had to even contact the insurance (who argued, and the client accepted) that I was not at fault; I still keep it, cos it makes me sleep a little more easily. I've never had a client ask if I have it, though.

Spencer Allman
Spencer Allman
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:11
Finnish to English
Don't have it Jan 28, 2011

I have never heard of any translator ever having benefited from it in any tangible sense

Some agencies have asked if I have it, I have said no, and we have simply gone ahead on that basis

Clive Phillips
Clive Phillips  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:11
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
Professional indemnity insurance Jan 28, 2011

Hi Val,
Have been a (part-time) freelance for nearly two years, so my "experience" is limited. (Before that, was an in-house translator for periods totalling 20 years.)

Last year I took out professional indemnity insurance (cover £1 million in respect of any one claim) - but this is subject to certain exclusions. Annual premium was £105 through Simply Business for UK-based tr
... See more
Hi Val,
Have been a (part-time) freelance for nearly two years, so my "experience" is limited. (Before that, was an in-house translator for periods totalling 20 years.)

Last year I took out professional indemnity insurance (cover £1 million in respect of any one claim) - but this is subject to certain exclusions. Annual premium was £105 through Simply Business for UK-based translators: https://www.simplybusiness.co.uk/insurance/ . Excess in the event of a claim is £250.
I cannot say how good or bad they are, as I have (thankfully!) not had to make a claim.

On forums like this one, I've seen a range of opinions pro and contra the advisability of taking PI insurance. If you work in the medical or legal fields, it's particularly worth serious consideration. For me, it offers peace of mind, meets the demands of some agencies and, as David said, is tax-deductible.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Liability Insurance

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »