Thread poster: Heinrich Pesch

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 02:44
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Feb 19, 2011

Once I had a link to a site where I could view the text of European standards in all official languages, but now I seem to have lost it. I need to compare the full text of some documents in order to find the right expression.

REgards
Heinrich

Direct link Reply with quote

Mihaela Buruiana  Identity Verified
Romania
Member (2011)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Is this what you were looking for? Feb 19, 2011

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/en/index.htm

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 00:44
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
European standards Feb 19, 2011

http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/policies/european-standards/documents/harmonised-standards-legislation/list-references/index_en.htm

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Those do not give me search results Feb 19, 2011

At the moment I'm looking for EN 60730. I just understand why I cannot find this in the EU-search engines. Not in Google either, only references to it.
Thanks so far!

Tony M  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 01:44
French to English
+ ...
Money! Feb 19, 2011

Heinrich Pesch wrote:
I just understand why I cannot find this in the EU-search engines.

I have never had any success finding complete standards online either; the best I've done is find odd extracts, which are sometimes quoted by e.g. equipment manufacturers — but this represents a mere drop in the ocean.

I've come to the conclusion that the explanation is simple: normally, you have to pay to obtain copies of standards, so obviously, the suppliers are not going to make them freely available on the Web, are they?

I'm lucky in having good contacts with some companies that have a wide stock of standards that I can refer to if I need to.

I wonder if we could set up a directory of any translators or other collaborators who have standards, and might be prepared to consult them for colleagues? Doing this via IT would be about the only way, I suspect, to keep track of who has which standard and in what language, and then cross-reference it all.

JL01  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:44
English to French
+ ...
Stnadards are not free Feb 19, 2011

It is as simple as that. Standards are published by organisations which do not make them available for free. I know for a fact this is true for AFNOR, SAE and ISO.

One could imagine translators organisations (FIT, SFT, ATA, etc.) obtaining agreements from standard-publishing bodies to provide some sort of segmented translation corpuses of their standards to online TMs, like Linguee or similar. They would therefore be available for translators to prevent redundant or erroneous translation, without affecting the standard publishers bottom lines.

But I'm switching to decaf.

Gian
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Standards Feb 19, 2011

Come già detto, si possono acquistare o consultare, almeno in Italia, presso la sede dell'UNI, ma non si puo fare la fotocopia.
Di solito si trovano in due o tre lingue; è responsabilità di ogni paese tradurre la norma; una volta (in Italia) davano un numero proprio, ma ultimamente vedo che per molte lasciano lo stesso numero (vedi es. norma ISO 9000= UNI 9000 =Din 9000)

UNI EN ISO 9000 - Prodotto 31 dic 2000 ... UNI EN ISO 9000:2005. I Soci effettivi UNI hanno diritto allo sconto del 50% sulle norme UNI e fino al 50% sui libri e i CD-ROM (a seconda ...

DIN EN ISO 9000. Bereich, Qualitätsmanagement. Titel, Qualitätsmanagementsysteme -

Saluti
Gian

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 00:44
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Maybe in here Feb 19, 2011

http://www.cenelec.eu/Cenelec/Homepage.htm

Carolyn Brice  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 11:44
French to English
+ ...
Great idea Apr 14, 2011

Tony M wrote:

I wonder if we could set up a directory of any translators or other collaborators who have standards, and might be prepared to consult them for colleagues? Doing this via IT would be about the only way, I suspect, to keep track of who has which standard and in what language, and then cross-reference it all.

Just latching onto this topic, I agree this would be very useful.

I am currently working on a quality management manual for a company, which is based on DIN ISO 9001:2008, meaning that since I cannot find the actual text of this standard, I am going to have to sit and translate this entirely. Not only would I save time if I had access to that standard, but the end result would be much more accurate I believe.

Any ideas on how to set up such a directory?

Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 08:44
Chinese to English
Try the pirate's paradise - China Apr 14, 2011

Standards are not freely available, but there are copies circulating out there. I don't know how you feel about the ethics of downloading pirated copies, but if you want to find them, searching Chinese websites is a good way to go.

Obviously this is hard if you don't read Chinese, but some standards can be found pretty easily by using the Chinese term for "download" copy and paste here: 下载

Just put what you're looking for into Google, with that Chinese term, and dozens of links will pop out. Within the Chinese page, search for the same term 下载 , try to dodge the adverts, and there is at least a chance that your standard will download.

I just searched quickly for the EN60730 that you're looking for, and my method doesn't work here. There are copies available out there, but you would have to go through a slightly tiresome process of registering with websites to download them.

Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 08:44
Chinese to English
Works for ISO9001 Apr 14, 2011

My method does work for Carolyn's standard - the fifth link that Google turned up on the search ISO 9001:2008 下载 included a link which gave me a text straight away. Carolyn, if you want it, email me. It's a scanned pdf, I'm afraid, so you still have to do the typing, but at least the language is there.

I'm a bit worried about the idea of a platform dedicated to sharing standards, though - that's just asking for trouble with the copyright lawyers, isn't it? Better to keep it all ad hoc.

Tony M  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Platform vs. ad hoc Apr 14, 2011

Phil Hand wrote:

I'm a bit worried about the idea of a platform dedicated to sharing standards, though - that's just asking for trouble with the copyright lawyers, isn't it? Better to keep it all ad hoc.

That's exactly why I was careful to state, Phil "...prepared to consult them for colleagues"; it seems to me that very often, one only needs a small extract, sometimes even just a title, and I feel sure that this sort of action would stay within the law, especially if, as I suggested, it was simply a case of someone who had the standard (legitimately, of course!) looking something up on another person's behalf.

Of course, if it amounts to copying out whole chunks of the standard as some users may require, then this would clearly involve a breach of copyright.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for EN-standard collection

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search