New Blog for ENPL Translators
Thread poster: Moofi

Moofi  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:00
Polish to English
+ ...
Mar 1, 2011

Hello and dzięn dobry! I'd just like to draw your attention to a new blog that I started recently. It's specifically about common problems in EnglishPolish translating, but also more generally about translating and being a translator.

It's primarily written in English because I'm an Englishman who has lived in Poland for eight years. I have worked as a freelance writer in journalism, copy-editing and proofreading for most of my working life, and currently work for a Polish translating agency as their in-house proofreader.

I try to cover a different issue every morning, and in the evenings there will be feature articles, guest columns, interviews and other translating-related stuff. It's early days yet, but I have hopes 'do góry'.icon_wink.gif

Anyway, please feel free to stop by and look. Witaj w moim blog'u!icon_smile.gifhttp://bad-article.blogspot.com/

Krzysztof Kajetanowicz (X)  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
wow Mar 1, 2011

I read the two uppermost posts. (How about that for an awkward sentence.) You give excellent advice. I think false friends and common mistakes make a great subject, and you have a good shot at attracting interest (but nobody will admit that they're reading your blog of courseicon_wink.gif, especially if you stick to topics that there's a lot of noise (thus, little quality information) about on the internet.

I'm not sure how you'll manage to post daily though. I run an investment/economics blog and I struggle to post on a weekly basisicon_smile.gif

[Edited at 2011-03-01 10:49 GMT]

Moofi  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you :) Mar 1, 2011

Thanks for checking it out, I'm glad you liked it! Yes, after just a week, I'm beginning to see how it could be a problem. Fortunately, I have a vast stock of technical language things we can discuss, but the evening feature articles are proving a challenge. I have some interesting things lined up though, so it could be a while yet before I start really sweating .icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks again, and feel free to stop by any time.icon_smile.gif

Michal Glowacki  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2010)
English to Polish
+ ...
Nice! Mar 1, 2011

I've had a look at few articles and I like what you're writing about. I even took the liberty to post a comment. I think it's an excellent idea and I will definitely add that to my reading list. I try to read things from it on a regular basis, but I guess we all know how that usually works outicon_wink.gif

Anyway, I think it's the little things that are really interesting and probably make a text stand out most visibly to a native speaker. So thumbs up and I hope you manage to keep up with writing it on a regular basis. I wouldn't hold a grudge if you didn't do it daily as I can see how after a week or two that might become difficult. But any regularity will be goodicon_smile.gif

Cheers!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New Blog for ENPL Translators

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search