https://www.proz.com/forum/translator_resources/193459-the_best_content_management_system_for_a_multilingual_website.html

The best content management system for a multilingual website
Thread poster: Alessia Scipione
Alessia Scipione
Alessia Scipione  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:53
English to Italian
+ ...
Mar 3, 2011

Hello

I have been trying lately to have my translation website multilingual. More specifically I have all the pages in Italian and I would like to mirror the same content in English and Spanish, have a langiage switch in the top left or right corner so that the users can choose the language they want and the main menu gets translated as well in the language required.
I have discovered to my huge disappointment that the Content Management System I am using does not support a m
... See more
Hello

I have been trying lately to have my translation website multilingual. More specifically I have all the pages in Italian and I would like to mirror the same content in English and Spanish, have a langiage switch in the top left or right corner so that the users can choose the language they want and the main menu gets translated as well in the language required.
I have discovered to my huge disappointment that the Content Management System I am using does not support a multilingual module. Does anyone know which content managemet system would be better to adopt in my case and if there is any hosting provider who specifically supports this type of multilingual service speciually for translators? I am not even experienced technically in html so I would need a reasonable automated CMS.
Many Thanks

Alessia
Collapse

Ángel Belinchón
Ángel Belinchón  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Joomla! + JoomFish! Mar 3, 2011

Try Joomla! + extension JoomFish!

Witold Chocholski
Witold Chocholski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Try Wordpress Mar 3, 2011

For a simple or even more complicated translation website Wordpress is a perfect solution with with its dozens of various plugins enabling different language versions. You can customise your website as you wish. It's simple and effective.
I mean here Wordpress.org, with a website based on your server.

Best regards
Witold

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Seconded Mar 3, 2011

TraduccionesABC wrote:

Yes, this works quite nicely. Make sure your hosting provider supports MySQL and PHP5. The installation of Joomla and Joomfish is a matter of minutes.
Check out e.g. www.okservice.cz which is my website unrelated to translation (to avoid promotion of my services in-forum) and click on the German flag. You will see what this CMS and Joomfish can do.

Alessia Scipione
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Cannot use Joomla Mar 3, 2011

TraduccionesABC wrote:

Hello

Thanks a lot for your suggestion. I have used Joomla for a project but unfortunately I didin't find it easy to manage at all and I am not sure I can migrate that CMS to my actual website because it is not supported by my hosting provider . I definitely need to find a different solution.
Thanks a lot anyway for suggesting it .

Alessia

Stanislav Pokorny
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Other CMS Mar 3, 2011

Then you might want to try Wordpress or Drupal. Perhaps it's time you moved to a different webhosting provider?

Alessia Scipione
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes I was thinking about changing the hosting provider Mar 3, 2011

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

Then you might want to try Wordpress or Drupal. Perhaps it's time you moved to a different webhosting provider?

Yes, you are right, I have been thinking about that as well. I wanted first to see which CMS might be better and then enquire the different hosting providers if they would support it. At the moment I am also researching on Drupal because I think it might be more user friendly for me and maybe can be supported by my actual hosting provider.
What do you think about Drupal? Would you choose more Joomla or Drupal?

Stanislav Pokorny
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Joomla! is the winner for me Mar 3, 2011

Hello Alessia,
I tested Joomla!, Drupal, and Wordpress and I decided to go for Joomla! in the end. There are numerous reasons for this:
- easy installation
- steep learning curve
- number of free extensions and components
- number of professional templates at a reasonable price
- and many more.

I learned how to use Joomla! within two days and you can see the example by clicking on the link I provided in my earlier post.

If your webhos
... See more
Hello Alessia,
I tested Joomla!, Drupal, and Wordpress and I decided to go for Joomla! in the end. There are numerous reasons for this:
- easy installation
- steep learning curve
- number of free extensions and components
- number of professional templates at a reasonable price
- and many more.

I learned how to use Joomla! within two days and you can see the example by clicking on the link I provided in my earlier post.

If your webhosting provider does not support MySQL or PHP5, I suggest that you run away from them as quickly as possible.
Collapse

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
Google sites Mar 3, 2011

If you use Google sites, there is a link to automatically translate your webpage into all the MT supported languages on Google.

Probably not what you are looking for but a good option if you don't have the resources to translate your website into several languages (an association, for example).

Cheers,
John

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:53
Swedish to English
+ ...
Have you ever visited any automatically Google translated sites? Mar 3, 2011

John Di Rico wrote:

If you use Google sites, there is a link to automatically translate your webpage into all the MT supported languages on Google.

Probably not what you are looking for but good option if you don't have the resources to translate your website into several languages (an association, for example).

Alessia Scipione
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I don't need a translation Mar 3, 2011

John Di Rico wrote:

Probably not what you are looking for but a good option if you don't have the resources to translate your website into several languages (an association, for example).

Cheers,
John

Hello John

Thanks a lot for your suggestion but as a matter of fact A) I do not regard Google as a translator and I will never do and B) I don't need a translation of my website because I can do it by myself being a fully qualified and experienced translator. The reason why I have to display the content in my language combinations is because my website is my e-business card. Therefore what I need is a content management system to be able to display my website nicely and with a language switch .
Thanks to Stanislav I have found possibly the solution I am looking for .
Many thanks to you all, you really helped me out a lot

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The best content management system for a multilingual website

Translation news

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »