Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 08:07
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Mar 4, 2011

Is there a multilanguage UI glossary for the Android system available? I am interested in English-Polish pair...

It should be, as the system is open source, but I cannot find anything.

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:07
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Just a guess Mar 4, 2011

Since Android is a Linux derivative, you can use any Linux-related glossary. Most extensive seem to be KDE glossaries, thus, contact the Polish localization group of KDE. Or the Gnome one.

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
UI strings Mar 4, 2011

You should probably search for "localization packs", "language packs" or "UI strings" or something like that. I'm not sure who localizes android: Google, the device manufacturers or the carriers who are based in the target country and end up selling most devices.
Whoever does it, I wouldn't expect them to publish a glossary... but there's a decent chance that you can find the UI text strings online somewhere in some variety of XML, which, supposing you can find the same version in English
... See more
You should probably search for "localization packs", "language packs" or "UI strings" or something like that. I'm not sure who localizes android: Google, the device manufacturers or the carriers who are based in the target country and end up selling most devices.
Whoever does it, I wouldn't expect them to publish a glossary... but there's a decent chance that you can find the UI text strings online somewhere in some variety of XML, which, supposing you can find the same version in English and Polish, should be fairly easy to align.

Here's a link with mixed news (no full language packs, but you can dig things up in bits and pieces):
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4678169/how-to-create-a-custom-language-pack-for-android

Unfortunately there is no such notion as "language packs." You can download the Android source (see http://source.android.com) and add/modify translations but you will have to submit your changes as an Open Source contribution to the Android Open Source Project.

The translations are done per application. For instance, all the translations for the Browser app are in packages/apps/Browser/res/values-LANGUAGECODE. The framework translations are in frameworks/core/res/res/values-LANGUAGECODE.

I have no time to look into this now, but if the source code tree contains both EN and PL, it should be possible to just download the whole thing and then filter out all PL and all EN files with two simple searches and then align them in one go.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Linux or Java? Mar 4, 2011

esperantisto wrote:
Since Android is a Linux derivative...

I thought Android is Java derivative.

Ambrose Li
Ambrose Li  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 02:07
English
+ ...
Both? Mar 4, 2011

Samuel Murray wrote:

esperantisto wrote:
Since Android is a Linux derivative...

Like any Linux-based system, Linux itself is only the kernel. Java would be an additional layer on top of the kernel.

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Java in Android Mar 4, 2011

Samuel Murray wrote:

Not really. Ambrose Li is right, it's based on the linux kernel. I believe most stuff above kernel level (i.e. most of what one would call the android OS itself) was coded by Google specifically for Android.
Java comes into the picture because the apps you can get through the Market run in the Dalvik virtual machine, which is a Java derivative. So Android itself is (loosely) linux-based, and it contains Java-derived parts (for running third party apps).

Jaroslaw Michalak
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Not readily available Mar 4, 2011

Yes, the kernel is Linux and applications are mostly in Java.

Android is completely different in terms of interface, resources, etc. than typical Linux distributions, so localizations for those would be rather useless.

I know, of course, about the source code - I hoped I could access the strings without browsing through the whole package (which has several gigabytes of volume, available through git).

Ambrose Li
Ambrose Li  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 02:07
English
+ ...
strings Mar 4, 2011

I don’t know if this is going to help, but, as a shot into the dark, maybe you could try the following google query:

"strings.xml" +pl site:android.git.kernel.org

This gives you a list of directories in the Android GIT repo where the "strings.xml" file appears and where there’s a high chance one of those "strings.xml" files is a Polish localization.

[Edited at 2011-03-04 22:17 GMT]

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Filtering Mar 5, 2011

Jabberwock wrote:

I know, of course, about the source code - I hoped I could access the strings without browsing through the whole package (which has several gigabytes of volume, available through git).

Well, if it can be downloaded as a single package and there is a standard naming convention for interface string files, then you won't have to browse manually. Both Total Commander and the Windows search tool can find files called *interface*PL.xml and copy them all to a separate folder en masse. It's annoying to have to download all the source code for this, but it could well be the only way to do it.

[Edited at 2011-03-05 14:42 GMT]

Jaroslaw Michalak
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Nice one! Mar 5, 2011

Ambrose Li wrote:

I don’t know if this is going to help, but, as a shot into the dark, maybe you could try the following google query:

"strings.xml" +pl site:android.git.kernel.org

I did not realize you can google git like that! For more specific searches, using "values-pl/strings.xml" works quite well, too.

It turns out, though, that the localization information is spread over a number of files - as my needs for the time were somewhat limited (just a couple of settings entries I could not see on my phone), I've just used those. Creating a glossary from these might be useful yet, at some point.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Android glossary?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »