Glossary of menu items for hardware installation?
Thread poster: Elke Fehling

Elke Fehling  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:52
English to German
+ ...
Mar 11, 2011

I am translating a printer manual from English to German. One chapter explains the installation of the printer drivers with all the different operations systems available (ex.: Windows XP, Vista, 7, Macintosh...). This is not the first time I am doing something like this, but these things are coming more and more frequently and I am tired of searching the web or doing guesswork.

Is there a glossary that lists the translations of the different menu items etc. for the different operation systems? Or does anybody know a website with screen prints of the dialog boxes in German (and English?) for the hardware installation?

Thank you!

Elke

Direct link Reply with quote

JL01  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:52
English to French
+ ...
Out of luck Mar 11, 2011

Microsoft glossaries (of product terminology) used to be available for free, but not any longer. Now, one must buy the developer's kit. That is really a stupid approach by MS.
I don't know whether there exists an Apple terminology list.

Kjersti Farrier  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:52
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Excellent multilingual website right here.. Mar 11, 2011

http://www.microsoft.com/language/en-us/default.aspx

I find this website highly useful for any type of translation that is somehow related to computers, operating systems, peripheral devices, menu choices etc etc.

I use it for my language pair English-Norwegian, but I cannot see why it wouldn't be equally good in German.

Kjersti

[Edited at 2011-03-11 21:09 GMT]

Elke Fehling  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:52
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Doesn't really help Mar 12, 2011

That's a good site, but it doesn't help me with the exact translation of the messages in the different operation systems. Example:

"Select [A network printer, or printer attached to another computer], and then click [Next >]."

Kjersti Farrier  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:52
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Ok... Mar 12, 2011

Right, I see where you are coming from, in this case, be inventive in your research.
Based on the phrase you gave me I found this webpage:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/maintain/printers.mspx

I'm not sure whether your manual is full or pictures like this?

What I then did was split down the phrase and searched for "printer attached to another computer" on the website I gave you, this prompted me with the phrase: "A network printer, or a printer attached to another computer" -> "Netzwerkdrucker oder Drucker, der an einen anderen Computer angeschlossen ist"

And would "Next" be "Nächste"?

Another example from the http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/maintain/printers.mspx webpage is:
"Select the option that describes the printer you want to use: " which I also found by searching for "Select the option that describes", giving me "Wählen Sie die Option für den gewünschten Drucker aus: "

This same former webpage also gives you an idea of what you may find a translation for and what you can translate more freely - everything written in bold are UI phrases/terms.

I hope that this helps.
Regards,
Kjersti

[Edited at 2011-03-12 11:25 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Glossary of menu items for hardware installation?

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search