https://www.proz.com/forum/translator_resources/195427-quotes_by_meister_eckhart_tauler_etc_in_english.html

Quotes by Meister Eckhart, Tauler etc. in English
Thread poster: paELLEja
paELLEja
paELLEja
Local time: 16:05
English to Russian
+ ...
Mar 29, 2011

I need help in finding English variant of quotations by Meister Eckhart, Johannes Tauler, Isaac the Syrian, Ignatius of Loyola, Plotinus etc. What I have are their Russian equivalents, usually without any source (no title of the work) - and that's it.

Can anyone help?
Thank you!

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 21:05
Chinese to English
Google it Apr 4, 2011

I have this problem a lot. I find that Google is often the best answer. Try a rough translation of your Russian quote, with the name of the writer. In the quote, focus on the key words, and try a few variations. If the quote's out there, it should pop up in your search results.

Otherwise, to save time, you can adopt this principle: well-known quotes should be exact, all others can be retranslated. Go to a big English dictionary/website of quotations, look up your writer, and if the
... See more
I have this problem a lot. I find that Google is often the best answer. Try a rough translation of your Russian quote, with the name of the writer. In the quote, focus on the key words, and try a few variations. If the quote's out there, it should pop up in your search results.

Otherwise, to save time, you can adopt this principle: well-known quotes should be exact, all others can be retranslated. Go to a big English dictionary/website of quotations, look up your writer, and if the Russian quote you've got isn't there, then you can just translate.
Collapse

paELLEja
paELLEja
Local time: 16:05
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, but it does not always work Apr 4, 2011

Yes, that's what I am actually doing, but only 30-40% of cases work since, though these authors seem already to be the public domain, not all of their works can be found in the internet.
Maybe someone can help with e-souce for such books?

But thanks for the rule of translating well-known quotes and common quotes - that will be useful!

Sarah Swift
Sarah Swift  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:05
German to English
Google + library Apr 4, 2011

Often, you can find the quotes you are looking for by using Google, but you may also need authoritative sources (for footnotes etc), so I try to use the internet to establish where I might find the quote in an actual book, and then I go to a library to track it down and verify bibliographic data, check page numbers etc. I know I have certainly been able to find extensive quotes by Meister Eckhart on the net, but not always in the context of sources I would have been happy to quote in an academic... See more
Often, you can find the quotes you are looking for by using Google, but you may also need authoritative sources (for footnotes etc), so I try to use the internet to establish where I might find the quote in an actual book, and then I go to a library to track it down and verify bibliographic data, check page numbers etc. I know I have certainly been able to find extensive quotes by Meister Eckhart on the net, but not always in the context of sources I would have been happy to quote in an academic paper.

In some contexts, it may also be acceptable to replace a quote with a paraphrase. If it is not possible to track down exactly what you are looking for in the time available, it may be better to use a paraphrase rather than retranslating the quote. It helps to have access to the author when making these decisions, though.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Quotes by Meister Eckhart, Tauler etc. in English

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »