https://www.proz.com/forum/translator_resources/1977-explorer_favourites_organising_utility_suggestions_welcome.html

Explorer Favourites: Organising Utility? Suggestions welcome
Thread poster: Bilingualduo
Bilingualduo
Bilingualduo  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 02:18
English to Italian
+ ...
Mar 29, 2002

Dear all,

In an ideal world your browser would intuitively _know_ which specific link, reference, dictionary, web site etc., etc you are looking for at a precise and specific moment in time. Sigh.

The real world being what it is....I shall say no more.

The point: can anyone recommend a utility (prefereable shreware/free but not essential) which organises the Favourite Folder in IExplorer? Ideally one which can:

-allow impor
... See more
Dear all,

In an ideal world your browser would intuitively _know_ which specific link, reference, dictionary, web site etc., etc you are looking for at a precise and specific moment in time. Sigh.

The real world being what it is....I shall say no more.

The point: can anyone recommend a utility (prefereable shreware/free but not essential) which organises the Favourite Folder in IExplorer? Ideally one which can:

-allow importation of existing links (i.e. not require links to be typed in manually for those already in existence)

-allow them to be catagorised in specific folders/subject areas

-allow for site \'icon\' identification and importation where available

-have the facility to check updates/dead links periodically of stored links

-be user friendly? (Well, since I\'m asking, I thought why not ask )

If anyone has heard of, or is in fact using such a utility, I would appreciate your recommendations.

Thanking you in advance for any help you can give,

B.W.
Collapse

Andrzej Lejman
Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
German to Polish
+ ...
Organising utility Mar 29, 2002

Hallo,

have a look at www.macropool.de for Content Saver.

Regards

Andrzej

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:18
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Try Yahoo Bookmarks Mar 29, 2002

[quote]

On 2002-03-29 08:16, bilingualduo wrote:

Dear all,

........The point: can anyone recommend a utility (prefereable shreware/free but not essential) which organises the Favourite Folder in IExplorer? Ideally one which can:

Hi,

I am using \"Yahoo Bookmarks\" (part of Yahoo Companion) and I think it is great!

1) you don\'t need to import/export your bookmarks from one PC to the other one, as Yahoo Bookmark is connected to your Yahoo Account, not to a specific PC, and all your bookmarks are \"online\";

2) you can easily use it (similar to IE Favourites), but you can also add a comment next to the URL; there\'s a tool for importing your IE Favourites into Yahoo Bookmarks (you need to do it only once);

3) You cannot update or validate them.

It\'s a freeware. Try it!

Happy Easter,

Giuliana

[addsig]

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Local time: 20:18
German to English
+ ...
Simply create a bunch of folders Mar 30, 2002

For example: \"translation sites\" (like ProZ, etc.), \"Glossaries\" (including subfolders for different language pairs and/or specializations), ...

I would not bother with yet another piece of software.

My 2 cents.

Giuliana Buscaglione
United States
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Bunch of Folders?? Yes, BUT....... Mar 30, 2002

[quote]

On 2002-03-30 02:43, AbacusTrans wrote:

Hi Werner,

I had created more than a bunch of folders, but this turned out to be no solution: whenever I used to click on \"Favourites\" I could see an endless list of \"anonymous\" links in each folder (most are called \"glossary\" or I could only read the URL), therefore I had to check each one in the subfolder (=language pair), as there was no room for a comment. I have over 1,000 URL \"stored\"...no need to say, it used to be easier to perform a new Google search than searching my own favourites.

I use more than one PC in different locations: each time I had to save my favourites or search for the newly added URLs, copy, paste and save them into a document, finally add them into the favourites of the other PC.... ahhh! A time consuming activity....... With Yahoo Bookmarks, whenever I find an interesting URL, I add the bookmark... job done for all my computers. I only need to log in Yahoo, even from an Internet Café, and I can see all my bookmarks.

I am sure there are better programms, but I can say that this freeware is pretty good.

Cheers,

Giuliana

[addsig]

Bilingualduo
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for suggestions received so far Mar 30, 2002

Hello,

My thanks to you all for your comments and suggestions so far.

Giuliana - isn\'t it odd how often the most obvious possibilities are right under our noses? I\'m referring of course to the idea of using Yahoo Bookmarks - which quite simply I had never even considered and therefore had not investigated with a view to seeing if it might \'do the job\'. Thanks so much.

Also to Andrzej - though my knowledge of German is such that I am afraid
... See more
Hello,

My thanks to you all for your comments and suggestions so far.

Giuliana - isn\'t it odd how often the most obvious possibilities are right under our noses? I\'m referring of course to the idea of using Yahoo Bookmarks - which quite simply I had never even considered and therefore had not investigated with a view to seeing if it might \'do the job\'. Thanks so much.

Also to Andrzej - though my knowledge of German is such that I am afraid the solution might prove more of an obstacle than a help.

Werner, I appreciate your comments, but I must say that my current setup which does indeed include folders, sub-folders, categories and what have you, leaves me less than satisfied in that, as Giuliana has mentioned, I have hundreds of \'annonymous\' icons and URL\'s which at a glance - if such a thing is possible with so many addresses - ends up wasting a lot of time. Hence I am trying to find a \'better\' way to manage everything.

My thanks again to all,

B.W.
Collapse

Local time: 20:18
German to English
+ ...
Then, re-name your "anonymous" links Mar 30, 2002

Why don\'t you just re-name all the entries in your folders, subfolders, etc.?

No one forces you to keep the \"anonymous\" original names.

Bilingualduo
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Icons are anonymous, not URL's Mar 30, 2002

Dear Werner,

I appreciate your concern, but I was in fact refering to anonymous icons. The links I have are, in indeed renamed in a more user-friendly (to me at least) manner.

Thanks anyway.

B.W.

Giuliana Buscaglione
United States
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
No Solution.... Mar 30, 2002

[quote]

On 2002-03-30 14:47, AbacusTrans wrote:

Why don\'t you just re-name all the entries in your folders, subfolders, etc.?

Yes, Werner, I did, but I still had the problem of adding X & Y into many different \"Favourites\".... Believe me, no solution...

You are right Bilingulduo, we think sometimes that \"Our neighbour\'s grass has to be greener\", (as we say in Italian) isn\'t it??

Giuliana
[addsig]

Woz
Woz
Favourties Alternative. Apr 3, 2002

You could try Powermarks, available at http://www.kaylon.com/power.html

Powermarks take a different approach by importing favourites/bookmarks from IE/NN/Opera, validates the URLs, and then you search your personal database by keywords.

It fully intergrates with IE and NN so you can also add sites on the fly.

It takes a shift in thinking but worth the effor
... See more
You could try Powermarks, available at http://www.kaylon.com/power.html

Powermarks take a different approach by importing favourites/bookmarks from IE/NN/Opera, validates the URLs, and then you search your personal database by keywords.

It fully intergrates with IE and NN so you can also add sites on the fly.

It takes a shift in thinking but worth the effort as it makes archiving and find bookmarks all the easier.

Obligatory Disclaimer: not my company, wish it was.

Woz
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Explorer Favourites: Organising Utility? Suggestions welcome

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »