https://www.proz.com/forum/translator_resources/19933-seeking_a_recommendation_for_a_good_portuguese_english_business_dictionary.html

Seeking a recommendation for a good Portuguese/English business dictionary
Thread poster: Ron Stelter
Ron Stelter
Ron Stelter  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:11
Member (2003)
German to English
Mar 31, 2004

I made a somewhat related posting several weeks ago. However, I haven't completely found what I was looking for.

At this point, I am still looking for a good Portuguese>English business dictionary. I recently bought the De Morais. While the translations seem to be more or less accurate, the book is alarmingly small, particularly for going in both directions. Therefore, I tend to believe that it will not be particularly helpful, that a lot of words will be missing.

C
... See more
I made a somewhat related posting several weeks ago. However, I haven't completely found what I was looking for.

At this point, I am still looking for a good Portuguese>English business dictionary. I recently bought the De Morais. While the translations seem to be more or less accurate, the book is alarmingly small, particularly for going in both directions. Therefore, I tend to believe that it will not be particularly helpful, that a lot of words will be missing.

Could anyone recommend a larger business dictionary? Of course, quality is very important, but I know I have bought high-quality specialized dictionaries in other language combinations which were half a foot thick and weigh a ton. Sort of lends itself to peace of mind-not to mention the fact that, even if the translations are bad, you can at least still use them for weightlifting:) After visiting a lot of web sites, I don't seem to be finding anything with a large number of entries at all-that I feel I could "go to battle" with.

Any recommendations for legal dictionaries appreciated as well. I have the Noronha.

Thank you very much.

[Edited at 2004-03-31 16:23]

[Edited at 2004-03-31 16:26]

[Edited at 2004-03-31 16:30]

[Edited at 2004-03-31 20:03]
Collapse

Sónia Tavares
Sónia Tavares
Germany
Local time: 09:11
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Dictionary Mar 31, 2004

Hello!

I don't know any dictionary Port./Eng, only Eng./Port.
However, I am a native speaker of Portuguese and live in Portugal. If you need some help, like some word you don't understand, please ask me. If I know the answer, I won't mind helping you.

Bye!
Sónia Tavares

Mónica Machado
Mónica Machado
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:11
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Do you mean European Portuguese? Mar 31, 2004

Hello Ron,

Do you mean European Portuguese? In European Portuguese I am afraid we are very short of specialized dictionaries so you might not be able to find what you are looking for. I think there is one from Verbo (Title: Dicionário Multilingue de Economia, Gestão e Comércio). I don't have this one but have the Technical one (EN-PT/PT-EN) issued by them and find it quite good for very specific terms in my areas.

You
... See more
Hello Ron,

Do you mean European Portuguese? In European Portuguese I am afraid we are very short of specialized dictionaries so you might not be able to find what you are looking for. I think there is one from Verbo (Title: Dicionário Multilingue de Economia, Gestão e Comércio). I don't have this one but have the Technical one (EN-PT/PT-EN) issued by them and find it quite good for very specific terms in my areas.

You can have a look at

http://www.editorialverbo.pt/

You can also have a look at http://www.ipn.pt/opsis/litera/ligac15.htm for further titles in different areas.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Mónica
Collapse

Ron Stelter
Member (2003)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Sonia Apr 1, 2004

Thanks, Sonia, that's a very kind offer. I may take you up on it at some point.

Ron

Sónia Tavares wrote:

Hello!

I don't know any dictionary Port./Eng, only Eng./Port.
However, I am a native speaker of Portuguese and live in Portugal. If you need some help, like some word you don't understand, please ask me. If I know the answer, I won't mind helping you.

Bye!
Sónia Tavares

Ron Stelter
Member (2003)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Ideally, Monica.... Apr 1, 2004

Ideally, Monica, it would be something which would be helpful for the Portuguese of both Portugal and Brazil. However, from my searches, it does seem like it will be much easier to find Brazilian Portuguese dictionaries.

Thanks for all the helpful links. They seem to be quite excellent. I will check them out...

Ron

mmachado wrote:

Hello Ron,

You can have a look at

http://www.editorialverbo.pt/

You can also have a look at http://www.ipn.pt/opsis/litera/ligac15.htm for further titles in different areas.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Mónica

Mónica Machado
Mónica Machado
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:11
English to Portuguese
+ ...
PTB vs PT Apr 1, 2004

Hello Ron,

You will find a lot more dictionaries for PTB than for PT, but please note that using PTB terms for PT texts or PT terms for PTB texts can be tricky as terminology is very different in these countries.

If you require any further help for European Portuguese don't hesitate to contact me privately.

Best regards,
Mónica

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Seeking a recommendation for a good Portuguese/English business dictionary

Translation news

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »