Thread poster: Scott Evan Andrews

Scott Evan Andrews  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:07
Member (2008)
Czech to English
+ ...
Aug 10, 2011

My problem is this: I set up a new project and created a new memory (CZ>GB) to be able to give the client the memory to this project. I verified in project settings - language pairs that I indeed had CZ>GB. But when I opened one of the three files to start translating it seems to be using my main "old" memory (CZ>AM E) and not the newly created one, because it has offered translated segments when this memory is brand new, and I can see it in the Concordance search. Will this still go into newly created memory when I finalize? Or how can I apply and utilize the new memory?
thank you!
Scott Andrews

[Edited at 2011-08-10 14:37 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

FrenyNLiska  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:07
English to Portuguese
Reference memory? Aug 10, 2011

Hi Scott,

For what I undestood, you get the translation int he Concordance window, not the Translation Unit box. If this is right, and considering you have the new memory open, you most probably have the old memory as a reference in Concordance (Tools/Concordance/Oprions/Reference). If this is right, leave the reference blank.

It`s always good practice to give a very clear name to the memory and recheck what`s on the top of the Workbench every time you start a translation.

About the other question, the TUs will be saved only in the memory you are working on.

You can also check what Switches you have marked in Concordance. Only the two last ones should be ticked.

I hope it helped.

Regards,

Freny

Scott Evan Andrews  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:07
Member (2008)
Czech to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
clarification Aug 10, 2011

Hi Freny, thanks much for your effort and quick reply.
Here are details I should have mentioned and this may have caused my troubles.

Before I got clarification that mem needs to be Brit I created a memory into Am Eng. and started working on one file of three. In the mean time I got confirm. to go w/ Brit. Eng. So I created new project, new CZ>Brit memory, I opened it (through Projects view, opening projects folder, opening file from there to translate), and it automatically applied my old memory. My Brit memory is clearly named and is not there.

Moreover the other two files now say can't be opened because target languages did not match.
Now, what way out of this mess...? BTY it's trados 2009, so no workbench like in 2007.
I appreciate any further help

Scott

FrenyNLiska  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:07
English to Portuguese
Don't know answer Aug 10, 2011

Sorry for the misundestanding Scott. I'm not as familiar with Trados 2009 issues as I'm with Trados 2007. I dont want to make any guessings and not help you again, but if any idea pops up in my mind I'll sure suggest it.

Regards

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2009: When the right memory in a project is not being used

Advanced search

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search