Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Multifultor is the new IntelliWebSearch.
Thread poster: Michael Beijer
Nathan Takase
Nathan Takase  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:59
Japanese to English
+ ...
Not Primitive Sep 21, 2012

Thank you very much for sharing!

I was not aware of IWS or this tool, but I have now installed Multifultor and have found it to be quite useful.

Personally, I find it more "primitive" to be forced to shell out money for a new CAT tool when I already own others and then be confined to that CAT tool to take advantage of the feature. I don't translate using CAT tools 100% of the time, and I can also take advantage of Multifultor when casually searching the web, etc.
... See more
Thank you very much for sharing!

I was not aware of IWS or this tool, but I have now installed Multifultor and have found it to be quite useful.

Personally, I find it more "primitive" to be forced to shell out money for a new CAT tool when I already own others and then be confined to that CAT tool to take advantage of the feature. I don't translate using CAT tools 100% of the time, and I can also take advantage of Multifultor when casually searching the web, etc.

Many thanks to Rolf for a very handy tool!
Collapse

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 10:59
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Fair enough Sep 21, 2012

Nathan Takase wrote:
I don't translate using CAT tools 100% of the time, and I can also take advantage of Multifultor when casually searching the web, etc.

I have to admit I never thought of that. I use a CAT tool even for the smallest documents, so for translations CafeTran's solution is perfect, but I also search the web for other purposes. I have another solution for that, but I had to create it myself.

Cheers,

Hans

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 10:59
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Solved Sep 21, 2012

Michael Beijer wrote:
Furthermore, I tried CafeTran, but it was unable to handle VERY LARGE TMs and TBs properly.

I think it's useless to respond to your other "remarks", but the "problem" with very large databases has been solved.

Cheers,

Hans

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
Local time: 05:59
English to German
Multifultor hints Sep 22, 2012

Anna Sarah Krämer Fazendeiro wrote:

Multifultor ... when I search for multiple words, it searches only for the first word of several words I marked most of the time. Sometimes it works, though. Could anyone give me an idea why this happens?

MF doesn't search but sends search commands to the data source(s). Different data sources may interpret these commands differently. E. g. Google wants to put phrases in quotes. MF is able to add such quotes automatically: See the manual, chapter 8. If this doesn't help, ask again but provide more details.

I also couldn't get Wikipedia to work with it.

Oh, until now I haven't been aware of that. I've just discovered that the WP site's technology has been changed and now blocks MF's wizard. Nevertheless the old settings (got in 2011) still work. If you don't have these old settings you need to outsmart WP:

1: Follow MF's wizard until it asks you to click the lookup button on the web page. Do NOT click this button.
2: Now you should see the word "Multifultor" in the input box on the web page.
3: Set the cursor directly behind the very last letter ('r').
4: Hit the space bar. A short dropdown list appears. Click the Multifultor entry in this list.
5. Now the wizard should report success.

The above trick could work with some other "stubborn" web sites as well.

[/quote]

Anna Sarah Krämer
Anna Sarah Krämer
Germany
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
Oh, I totally overlooked your answer... Oct 7, 2012

Sorry! I sent you a mail, just disregard it. I will try your suggestions and check if it works!

Thank you!

Anna Sarah Krämer
Anna Sarah Krämer
Germany
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
Wikipedia works! Oct 7, 2012

1: Follow MF's wizard until it asks you to click the lookup button on the web page. Do NOT click this button.
2: Now you should see the word "Multifultor" in the input box on the web page.
3: Set the cursor directly behind the very last letter ('r').
4: Hit the space bar. A short dropdown list appears. Click the Multifultor entry in this list.
5. Now the wizard should report success.

These steps did the trick! Wikipedia works beautifully now, thanks!

I will look into the matter with the quotes later when I have time and report if changing those settings helped. Although the problem seems site-unrelated. It happens on all sites I am searching on, in this case Linguee, IATE, Proz Term Search and Dict.cc as well as local dictionaries - the words I mark in the text are copied to the clipboard - but here many times just the first word of the words I marked is copied into the clipboard. So the problem might start before the search term even arrives to the site. This seems totally random - sometimes it searches only the first word of a group I marked, sometimes it searches them all, using the very same settings... very strange.

I hope there is a solution. I don't even want to try to have to figure out how to use this new MultiTerm Widget thingy, that looks rather clumsy and limited, compared with this solution...

XXXphxxx (X)
XXXphxxx (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:59
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Proz term search Jan 5, 2015

I can't seem to be able to set it up to do a Proz term search. I've tried Rolf's advice for Wikipedia but it hasn't worked. Anyone know?

[Edited at 2015-01-05 21:29 GMT]

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Use the current version of Multifultor Jan 6, 2015

Lisa Simpson, MCIL MITI wrote:

I can't seem to be able to set it up to do a Proz term search. I've tried Rolf's advice for Wikipedia but it hasn't worked.

The current version (v2.0.0.4, see my profile) works with Wikipedia als well as with KuDoZ. No tricks necessary anymore.

XXXphxxx (X)
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Kudoz Jan 6, 2015

Hi Rolf,

Yes, that's the version I have installed but when it reaches the last point of the set-up wizard for searches (searching the word "Multifultor") nothing happens. Any idea why?

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Is new really better? Jan 6, 2015

when it reaches the last point of the set-up wizard for searches (searching the word "Multifultor") nothing happens.

ProZ offers more than one page/form for term searches.

Start the wizard with URL 1 = www.proz.com/search/ but do NOT click ProZ's "Try the new ProZ.com search" button. Use the proven, old search.

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
It's not pretty, but it looks very useful Jan 6, 2015

I can't seem to be able to set it up to do a Proz term search. I've tried Rolf's advice for Wikipedia but it hasn't worked. Anyone know?

Thanks to Lisa for resurrecting the thread and bringing this to my attention. I haven't used it in anger yet but it seems to work with most of my sources. Could be a real time saver. And of course both kudos and thanks to Rolf for his hard work on this and his generosity in releasing it to a wider audience.

Dan

XXXphxxx (X)
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
New problem Jan 14, 2015

Rolf Keller wrote:

when it reaches the last point of the set-up wizard for searches (searching the word "Multifultor") nothing happens.

ProZ offers more than one page/form for term searches.

Start the wizard with URL 1 = www.proz.com/search/ but do NOT click ProZ's "Try the new ProZ.com search" button. Use the proven, old search.

I apologise for not replying to this. My Proz notifications don't appear to be working at the moment.

I've just set up Kudoz searches as per your instructions and it worked so thanks for that. That's the good news. The bad news is that a week or two of not using a program I hadn't come to grips with has meant that I can't even remember how to use it now. I can't even remember how to perform a search again! I was learning Intelliwebsearch concurrently and I'm not having problems with that -- Ctrl+Alt+B is easy enough to remember. I'm find the Multifultor manual pretty unhelpful and I can't seem to find a Youtube tutorial. Is there one?

XXXphxxx (X)
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Yahoo group Feb 6, 2015

I've been trying to use IWS and Multifultor simultaneously for the past few weeks and while there are some things I like about Multifultor I also regularly stumble across problems. Does it have a Yahoo group where colleagues can help one another when issues arise?

Inter-Linguas LLC
Inter-Linguas LLC
France
French to English
installation problem Feb 9, 2015

I was unable to install Multifultor on my computer : the operating system which I am using presently is Windows 8.1 and it seems that there is an incompatibility to use Multifultor with Windows 8.1. Can anyone tell me if there is a way to find a solution to this problem? Thanks

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Often, problem descriptions are problems ... Feb 10, 2015

Inter-Linguas LLC wrote:

Windows 8.1 and it seems that there is an incompatibility to use Multifultor with Windows 8.1. Can anyone tell me if there is a way to find a solution to this problem?

What did you try, how did you try it, what happened, what did you expect to happen, ...? Voluntary helpers don't want to waste their time on riddles.

Anyway, Multifultor needs Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0. Often, Win 8.1 has installed only .NET 4.x which doesn't include 2.0. If so, you have to install 3.5 which includes 2.0.

Read this:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh506443(v=vs.110).aspx

Or google for "Windows 8.1" + "NET 3.5".

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Multifultor is the new IntelliWebSearch.

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »