French-english economic dictionary
Thread poster: Alison555
Aug 29, 2011

I'm looking for any advice or recommendations anyone can give me on a French-english dictionary of economic terms, specifically terms relating to international business, trade, commodities and the stock markets.

Looking for something in a hard copy or downloadable/on cd or dvd.

Thankyou very much.

mediamatrix (X)
Local time: 17:48
Spanish to English
+ ...
Kettridge Aug 29, 2011

I'd recommend the 2-volume edition of:

French-English-English-French Dictionary of Commercial and Financial Terms, Phrases and Practice
J. O. Kettridge
ISBN: 0-415-01867-6
Publisher: Routledge
Publication Date: 1980

On sale through a number of well and lesser-known on-line booksellers.

It's maybe not the most up-to-date work in this field, but a lot of terminology in this field is somewhat antiquated anyway, so it's still a valuabl
... See more
I'd recommend the 2-volume edition of:

French-English-English-French Dictionary of Commercial and Financial Terms, Phrases and Practice
J. O. Kettridge
ISBN: 0-415-01867-6
Publisher: Routledge
Publication Date: 1980

On sale through a number of well and lesser-known on-line booksellers.

It's maybe not the most up-to-date work in this field, but a lot of terminology in this field is somewhat antiquated anyway, so it's still a valuable reference.

MediaMatrix
Collapse

Veronica Coquard
France
Local time: 22:48
French to English
My favorites Aug 29, 2011

Hi there Alison,

I use "Dictionnaire de l'anglais économique, commercial et financier" by Michel Marcheteau from Business Management Series. It's a basic bilingual dictionary of business terms that comes in handy for quick flicks.

I also have an interesting one called "Dictionnaire EN-FR et FR-EN des Relations Internationales et Stratégiques" edited under the direction of Richard v. Dobenik from Editions Ellipses, which is more than just a bilingual dictionary. It tak
... See more
Hi there Alison,

I use "Dictionnaire de l'anglais économique, commercial et financier" by Michel Marcheteau from Business Management Series. It's a basic bilingual dictionary of business terms that comes in handy for quick flicks.

I also have an interesting one called "Dictionnaire EN-FR et FR-EN des Relations Internationales et Stratégiques" edited under the direction of Richard v. Dobenik from Editions Ellipses, which is more than just a bilingual dictionary. It takes specific terms used in international business and provides an in-depth explanation of the term in both languages, side-by-side. You'd be less likely to turn to it every five minutes, but you can learn a lot from it, and it would be particularly interesting for the international trade information you are seeking.

It's more difficult to find specialized dictionaries on CD, but ProZ has a knowledgebase on books that can help you make choices on bilingual reference books, which can often be costly and not worth your while. Have a look under "Education".

All the best!

[Edited at 2011-08-29 15:32 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

French-english economic dictionary

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search