Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
What do you all think of flat-panel (digital) displays?
Thread poster: A Hayes (X)
A Hayes (X)
A Hayes (X)
Australia
Local time: 04:46
Apr 7, 2002

Hello everyone

I\'m thinking of getting a flat digital screen. The one I have at the moment gives me pounding headaches (even when I have an anti-glare screen) after a few hours\'work. And I\'ve noticed this doesn\'t happen when I work with laptops (digital screens).

I\'d like to know whether any of you has a digital screen, and what you think of it.

Thank you.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 14:46
SITE FOUNDER
I recommend it Apr 7, 2002

Flat-panel displays are easier on your eyes, and also more efficient in terms of energy conservation and space. An additional benefit is that it is easier to position them at the height and angle you find most comfortable. Prices have come down significantly on them, too. I recommend them highly.

FrancescoP
FrancescoP  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:46
English to Italian
+ ...
Marvellous! Apr 7, 2002

I did buy one on Japan in 1999. It costed half prize compared to the same model sold in Italy.

Since then, I updated my software and hardware many times. But my LCD display is still there. Never had any problem with it.

The best investment you can do in terms of hardware.

FP

Endre Both
Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:46
English to German
Switch to LCD as soon as you can Apr 7, 2002

TFTs may not be a miracle cure against headaches (I\'m still having them), but they certainly are a lot easier on your eyes.

I wouldn\'t ever consider switching back to CRT (cathode ray tube, the standard bulky screens), no matter what the price difference is (which is getting smaller by the day anyway).

Karin Adamczyk (X)
Karin Adamczyk (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 14:46
French to English
Best thing I ever did for my eyes Apr 7, 2002

I bought a 17\" LCD screen about a month ago. I thought I had an ideal flat screen beauty before (a Viewsonic CRT), but this is even better. My eyes used to burn at the end of the day, but not anymore. I find that graphics are more brilliant on a CRT display, but text is much sharper and clearer on my LCD. After all, I look at text all day long and graphics are still beautiful, just not quite the same as my old monitor.

HTH,

Karin Adamczyk

Scott Li
Scott Li  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 02:46
Member (2005)
Chinese to English
+ ...
LCD Display Apr 8, 2002

Highly recommended for your eyes,especially for our profession or those who needs long time viewing to monitors.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Definitely worth the investment... Apr 8, 2002

...I have been using two 18-inch flat screens (side by side, using a Matrox \"dual-head\" graphics adaptor) for about a year now. Simply brilliant - it\'s not just much better for my eyes, but also for productivity (no need to squeeze different application windows onto a single display).

Klaus Herrmann
Klaus Herrmann  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
TFT and Matrox VGA Apr 8, 2002

Just to second what Ralf wrote - the Matrox Dual Head graphics boards are excellent. Several hardware test results state that they deliver a very crisp picture. However, they are a somewhat on the slow side, as far as 3-D acceleration goes. For a computer that\'s used for work, it\'s definitely my graphics board of choice.

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
ATI for dual display Apr 8, 2002

If you wish to work with two displays i would prefere ATI Radeon.

Even an Radeon VE is faster than Matrox and delivers high quality picture.

I use one with 64 MG RAM, so it´s even enough to do some shooting on Quake (what I definitelly don´t).

For text editing you don´t need even Matrox - a simple Rage 128 does to. But the picture quality is not so good.

So I would realy prefere RADEON 7500 or 8500 - it depends, how much money you want to spend for a gr
... See more
If you wish to work with two displays i would prefere ATI Radeon.

Even an Radeon VE is faster than Matrox and delivers high quality picture.

I use one with 64 MG RAM, so it´s even enough to do some shooting on Quake (what I definitelly don´t).

For text editing you don´t need even Matrox - a simple Rage 128 does to. But the picture quality is not so good.

So I would realy prefere RADEON 7500 or 8500 - it depends, how much money you want to spend for a graphics adapter.

Regards

J. Czopik
Collapse

LisaV20
LisaV20  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
+ ...
How much do these LCD screens cost? Dec 10, 2009

I'm not very good at computer hardware names, but here goes...

I'm a brand new proofreader and I work on my Sony Vaio laptop and on our campus computers (I think they are LG flat screens). Needless to say I get headaches from this that last.

How much do these LCD screens cost? (I'm in the UK)

Is it dangerous to work in front of a computer for so many hours a day (ca. 8 at least...)

Thanks,

Lisa

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Not that much Dec 10, 2009

Anywhere from 100 EUR to 1000+ depending on what you want.

A perfectly decent 20" entirely suitable for our work should cost you between 100 and 200 EUR. You may want to get either two screens or one giant 24" to 30" if you want to see two documents side by side in a conveniently LARGE size. This would obviously jack up the price.

LCDs are MUCH more eye-friendly than the old CRTs. I don't think reading text on an LCD is worse for you that reading similar-sized text from
... See more
Anywhere from 100 EUR to 1000+ depending on what you want.

A perfectly decent 20" entirely suitable for our work should cost you between 100 and 200 EUR. You may want to get either two screens or one giant 24" to 30" if you want to see two documents side by side in a conveniently LARGE size. This would obviously jack up the price.

LCDs are MUCH more eye-friendly than the old CRTs. I don't think reading text on an LCD is worse for you that reading similar-sized text from paper.
Collapse

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
One note of caution... Dec 10, 2009

LisaV20 wrote:

Is it dangerous to work in front of a computer for so many hours a day (ca. 8 at least...)

I don't know about other ergonomic issues, but at least LCD screens can't give off even small amounts of the X-rays that CRTs can; so in that respect, at least, they are 'safer' (always assuming, of course, that there was ever any real 'danger' in the first place)

I have been using my Toshiba laptop (15" 16:9 widescreen format) in conjunction with an external screen — originally a Philips 15" 4:3 format one (which was fine), but now with an Acer AL1916W 19" 16:9 widescreen, which I have to say is less than satisfactory (NB: same graphics card). I can't seem to find a way to adjust the aspect ratio and/or picture size properly, so have a s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d picture and am inclined to miss bits off the edges; also, the screen resolution seems to suffer from aliasing, making it less than legible at times, particularly for small characters. I've tried all sorts of configuration settings, but so far none of them seems to work satisfactorily on all counts, and I have even tried downloading a driver, but can't seem to get that to work properly either. Any help on these specific points would of course be most welcome!

[Edited at 2009-12-10 22:46 GMT]

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Ouch Dec 10, 2009

Tony M wrote:

I can't seem to find a way to adjust the aspect ratio and/or picture size properly, so have a s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d picture and am inclined to miss bits off the edges; also, the screen resolution seems to suffer from aliasing, making it less than legible at times, particularly for small characters. I've tried all sorts of configuration settings, but so far none of them seems to work satisfactorily on all counts, and I have even tried downloading a driver, but can't seem to get that to work properly either. Any help on these specific points would of course be most welcome!

That is most definitely a screen resolution problem, i.e. instead of 1440*900 it's set to some non-widescreen resolution like 1024*768, producing a horrible image. LCDs are always awful at anything except their native resolution so setting the correct resolution will solve both the stretch and the poor picture.
The cure depends on the video card and attached software.
Look around on your system tray. If there is a video card icon, click, double click or right-click it to bring up a settings window and find the screen resolution setting for the external monitor. Jack it up as high as it will go, probably 1440*900.
If you can find the setting but it doesn't have the resolution that you need, a software update is your last hope. But in principle it has to be there... every video card driver/software should be able to handle a 19" widescreen monitor.

Edit: this applies if you are using extended desktop (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-monitor#Display_modes ). If it's set to clone mode, switch to extended desktop first.

[Edited at 2009-12-10 23:15 GMT]

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
For Lisa Dec 11, 2009

LisaV20 wrote:

I'm a brand new proofreader and I work on my Sony Vaio laptop and on our campus computers (I think they are LG flat screens). Needless to say I get headaches from this that last.

Thanks,

Lisa

The screens you are using are LCD screens, so getting a new one is unlikely to solve your problems. You should note that this thread was started 7 years ago, when flat (LCD) screens were a novelty - now they're standard and you quite literally can't even give away a CRT monitor (I've tried, nobody wants them).

[Edited at 2009-12-11 19:34 GMT]

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Clairvoyant? Dec 11, 2009

Marie-Hélène Hayles wrote:

LisaV20 wrote:

Thanks,

Lisa

The screens you are using are LCD screens, so getting a new one is unlikely to solve your problems. You should note that this thread was started 7 years ago, when flat (LCD) screens were a novelty - now they're standard and you quite literally can't even give away a CRT monitor (I've tried, nobody wants them).

Flat screen CRTs are still out there. Not in very high numbers but I wouldn't be surprized at all to come across a few on a university campus.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What do you all think of flat-panel (digital) displays?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »