How to count word frequencies/occurrences across documents?
Thread poster: stereojones
Oct 6, 2011

Hey There,
I am new to the forum therefore please accept my apologies if I did place the topic in the wrong forum accidentally.

I am urgently looking for a search program which would allow me to count keyword occurrences or repetitions across a large amount of different pdf files. I have a need for statistics per document, i.e. total number of occurrences of a few keywords per pdf file.

To understand the set up more easily, I have folders and sub folders with pfd
... See more
Hey There,
I am new to the forum therefore please accept my apologies if I did place the topic in the wrong forum accidentally.

I am urgently looking for a search program which would allow me to count keyword occurrences or repetitions across a large amount of different pdf files. I have a need for statistics per document, i.e. total number of occurrences of a few keywords per pdf file.

To understand the set up more easily, I have folders and sub folders with pfd docs roughly 100 pages each. As they are numerous and I am searching for 20 keywords opening up each and every one of them to search for those words obviously makes no sense. I am also not interested in where the words actually are within the texts. All I need to know is how frequently they are used within each document. Preferably, I would like to see a program search throughout all files automatically and not per file and the ability to present a table or statistic with the total number of occurrences of the keywords.

Is there anyone by chance who does know what program could do the job? Any other ideas of how to get this done efficiently are extremely welcome.

Thanks to everyone.
Collapse

David Turnbull
David Turnbull
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:31
Italian to English
Search in Adobe Reader Oct 6, 2011

Easily done:

http://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/how-to-search-for-text-inside-multiple-pdf-files-at-once/

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to count word frequencies/occurrences across documents?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »