QUERY: en zh dictionaries
Thread poster: Folke Nettelblad

Folke Nettelblad
Sweden
Local time: 19:43
English to Swedish
+ ...
May 19, 2004

Anyone got any tips for good enzh dicitonaries for my daughter?

She has studied the language for one year at high school level (3 hours per week), and will be leaving for a four week residential course in Beijing in a couple of weeks.

Actually we would be interested in three types of dictionaries:

1. a handy pocket dictionary with either pinyin only or both characters and pinyin

2. a comprehensive dictionary for continued studies (both characters and pinyin)

3. as number two but on CD

Grateful for any tips.

Folke

(P.S. As our mother tongue is Swedish, svzh would be even better, if there is anything good on the market).

Direct link Reply with quote

Stefanie Sendelbach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:43
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Bookstores have a huge variety May 20, 2004

Hi Folke,

I suggest your daughter just visits one of the big bookstores (I don't know Beijing well but she can just ask for the wai4 wen2 shu1 dian4). Chinese bookstores have a huge variety of dictionaries. And the best thing is: They are incredibly cheap (at least for us waiguoren). I am sure she will even be able to find Swedish-Chinese dictionaries.

For point no. 2, I recently found the ÐÂÊÀ¼ÍººÓ¢´ó´Êµä (xin1 shi4 ji4 han4 ying1 da1 ci2 dian3). The publishing house is ÍâÓï½ÌѧÓëÑо¿³ö°æÉç (Foreign Language Teaching and Research Press). It is huge, maybe even a bit too huge. But I guess that's what you are looking for. It is only ZH>EN though.

For point no. 3, I recommend Wenlin and Kingsoft Powerword.

- Wenlin (ÎÄÁÖ wen2 lin2) is a dictionary software where you can search for Chinese characters (by pinyin, stroke count, radicals, and more) and English words. It also allows you to see the derivations of each character, the traditional characters, combinations with other characters and many many more. I think it is really a very useful program.

- You can find Kingsoft Powerword in any computer market in China. The Chinese name is ½ðɽ´Ê°Ô (jin1 shan1 ci2 ba4). It has a larger word inventory, goes even into specific fields of expertise and again you can search for Chinese or English entries. You can even let it run in the background when you read a text and by holding the mouse cursor over the word you want to check, it automatically gives you the dictionary entry in the text itself! I use this function a lot in classes with my Chinese students and it makes them understand English texts much better and faster.

Don't hesitate to contact me directly should you need more information.

Good luck,
Stefanie

[Edited at 2004-05-20 08:40]

haha
China
Local time: 01:43
English to Chinese
+ ...
go and get one May 21, 2004

Folke A. Nettelblad wrote:

Anyone got any tips for good enzh dicitonaries for my daughter?

She has studied the language for one year at high school level (3 hours per week), and will be leaving for a four week residential course in Beijing in a couple of weeks.

Actually we would be interested in three types of dictionaries:

1. a handy pocket dictionary with either pinyin only or both characters and pinyin

2. a comprehensive dictionary for continued studies (both characters and pinyin)

3. as number two but on CD

Grateful for any tips.

Folke

(P.S. As our mother tongue is Swedish, svzh would be even better, if there is anything good on the market).

Hi Folke,
if your daughter needs an electronic En-Zh dictionary, please go and get a trial one of Kingsoft Powerword in any computer market in China. The Chinese name is ½ðɽ´Ê°Ô (jin1 shan1 ci2 ba4).
ftp://211.92.163.189/ֵ䷭/XDict2002.exe

good luck.

haha

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

QUERY: en zh dictionaries

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search