Camila Markie
Camila Markie
Brazil
Local time: 16:36
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Feb 22, 2012

Hello everyone!

I am a translator and I work especially translating medical documents. I have also worked as an interpreter for community health professionals. I would like to know if anyone could recommend a good English-Portuguese medical dictionary. I found this one already. Does anybody know it? Is it a good one? The link is below
... See more
Hello everyone!

I am a translator and I work especially translating medical documents. I have also worked as an interpreter for community health professionals. I would like to know if anyone could recommend a good English-Portuguese medical dictionary. I found this one already. Does anybody know it? Is it a good one? The link is below and it's in Portuguese.

http://www.submarino.com.br/produto/1/125658/novo%20dicionario%20medico%20ilustrado:%20ingles-portugues?franq=102414&utm_source=buscape&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=bp&WT.mc_id=Buscape&WT.mc_ev=Click&coup_num=17-BP055-00001-0164412947

Any suggestions would behighly appreciated.

Thank you and have a blessed day!
Collapse

Walter Moura
Walter Moura  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 17:36
English to Portuguese
Dicionario Medico Stedman - Inglês/Português Feb 23, 2012

This is THE dicitionary for translators of medical texts. I use it whenever I have a medical text to translate.

You can find it here.

http://www.americanas.com.br/produto/156754/livros/dicionarios/tematicoseenciclopedias/dicionario-medico-stedman-ingles/portugues

"Esta
... See more
This is THE dicitionary for translators of medical texts. I use it whenever I have a medical text to translate.

You can find it here.

http://www.americanas.com.br/produto/156754/livros/dicionarios/tematicoseenciclopedias/dicionario-medico-stedman-ingles/portugues

"Esta 27ª edição contém mais de 1.050 ilustrações coloridas e foi meticulosamente revista por consultores de 52 especialidades médicas. As revisões de genética, bacteriologia, anatomia patológica e medicina laboratorial foram especialmente cuidadosas. Os termos de medicina veterinária foram revisados e deu-se ênfase à terminologia relevante para a medicina humana. Em um dos apêndices do dicionário, o leitor encontrará pranchas anatômicas coloridas. Destinado a estudantes e profissionais de toda a área médica e biomédica em geral."

Also, for online resources, try this site:

http://users.ugent.be/~rvdstich/eugloss/multi001.html

It has not been updated for some time, but still has its uses.

Good Luck.
Collapse

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
New Book just published - Dental Dictionary Feb 23, 2012

Dr Ana Júlia Perrotti-Garcia, one of the most famous medical and dental translators in the world, has just released a new book, a trilingual (Portuguese/English/Spanish) glossary of dental terms, written together with Dr Marise Ferreira. It can be bought through Doctor Livros (www.doctorlivros.com.br) that has the following to say:

"O Glossário de Termos Odontológicos é uma obra inédita n
... See more
Dr Ana Júlia Perrotti-Garcia, one of the most famous medical and dental translators in the world, has just released a new book, a trilingual (Portuguese/English/Spanish) glossary of dental terms, written together with Dr Marise Ferreira. It can be bought through Doctor Livros (www.doctorlivros.com.br) that has the following to say:

"O Glossário de Termos Odontológicos é uma obra inédita na literatura odontológica mundial, visto que engloba uma terminologia específica, subdividida por especialidades, apresentada em três línguas: Português, Espanhol e Inglês. É o resultado de anos de pesquisa e meses de trabalho de compilação a quatro mãos. Foi idealizado por duas profissionais que, além de cirurgiãs-dentistas, são também tradutoras, que trabalham com pesquisas terminológicas diariamente, além de já terem traduzido vários livros.
Esta obra será de grande utilidade não só para profissionais de Odontologia como também para tradutores, professores e linguistas, que agora dispõem de um excelente material para fazer pesquisas e consultas."
Collapse

Camila Markie
Camila Markie
Brazil
Local time: 16:36
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Feb 24, 2012

Walter Moura wrote:

You can find it here.

Thanks for your reply. But it's not available on americanas.com at the moment. And according to the little research I did, it costs almost R$600 reais and unfortunately I couldn't afford that right now. Do you know anything about the book I mentioned?

Walter Moura
Walter Moura  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
Never Seen it. Feb 24, 2012

I am sorry, I should have replied sooner, but I had never seen this book before.

And sorriest still for the price and lack of the book.

However, If you don't mind an used book, maybe this link can help you:

http://www.estantevirtual.com.br/q/stedman-dicionario-medico-stedman

Good luck.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advice on good Portuguese Medical Dictionary

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »