Coline Roux  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 09:57
Member (2012)
Italian to French
+ ...
Mar 6, 2012

Hi !

I decided to translate an article about some small Italian village into French. My problem is that there are old words and I can't find their meaning (or be sure of it). Does somebody knows a medieval Italian dictionary, or a medieval Italian>French dictionary?
And I have another question: when you translate medieval Italian, do you translate it with medieval French? Or with contemporary French? (It might be difficult to find the exact corresponding word)
Thanks for your help!

Direct link Reply with quote

benedetta74
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Accademia della Crusca Mar 6, 2012

Hi Coline_

I found this site http://vocabolario.signum.sns.it, and it's a online vocabulary of medieval terms by the Italian "Accademia della Crusca". Maybe it can be helpful for your translation.

Benedetta

Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Who is the target audience? Mar 6, 2012

Coline_ wrote:

And I have another question: when you translate medieval Italian, do you translate it with medieval French? Or with contemporary French? (It might be difficult to find the exact corresponding word)
Thanks for your help!

The answer to this depends on who your target audience is. It's not clear from your question if this translation is just an academic exercise, or for wikipedia, just for pleasure, or for something else?

Coline Roux  Identity Verified
France
Member (2012)
Italian to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Audience Mar 7, 2012

Actually, this is more exercise than work.
I guess the audience is the general audience that goes on Wikipedia. It is not a very complicated text, it's just that in order to present life in the village at some period, the author used an old text written by someone who lived in the village and explained how it was organised.
Maybe, as it is a general audience, contemporary French would be better.

My question regarding medieval language was also a general question, just to know if there was a rule. I think that your question answered mine. Except for History, if the audience is very large, we should prefer contemporary French.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation of medieval Italian - Looking for resources

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search