Thread poster: Ian Mansbridge

Ian Mansbridge  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:39
Member (2012)
Russian to English
+ ...
May 9, 2012

Hello, apologies if I have posted this in the wrong place, but it didn't seem appropriate for Kudoz... I'm doing a translation from Italian to English, which contains a translated quotation by Alain de Botton, from his book 'The Art of Travel'. There are no copies of the book in any of Cardiff's libraries, and I can't find the citation online... If anyone knows the exact original English wording I would be extremely grateful.

The quotation in question is something along the lines of: "In the presence of beauty we are first hit by the impulse to grasp it and possess it, to give it more space in our life. It's as if we desperately want to say 'I am here, I've seen all of this'"

Or, in Italian: "Al cospetto della bellezza veniamo inanzitutto colti dall’impulso di afferrarla e possederla per darle maggiore spazio nella nostra vita. E’ come se volessimo disperatamente dire: “sono stato qui, ho visto tutto questo” "

Many thanks!

Ian

Direct link Reply with quote

Irene McClure
Local time: 03:39
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Amazon May 9, 2012

Hi Ian - I don't have a copy of the book unfortunately, but I see that it is available on Amazon and you can 'look inside' and search for the quote. Maybe you know which chapter it is from, or roughly which page and could look for it that way?

See link http://www.amazon.com/The-Art-Travel-Alain-Botton/dp/0375420827

Hope this helps

Irene

United Kingdom
Member (2012)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! May 9, 2012

Brilliant, found it!
Many, many thanks!

Karen W  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
quote found May 9, 2012

Although the actual page isn't included in the Amazon preview, you can find the quote by putting in key words and fiddling around a bit! Then I also found it on the page below:
A dominating impulse on encountering beauty is the wish to hold on to it, to possess it and give it weight in one’s life. There is an urge to say, 'I was here, I saw this and it mattered to me.'
p. 214 Vintage International 2004
http://quote.robertgenn.com/auth_search.php?authid=489

Good luck with the rest

Karen W  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
jinx May 9, 2012

Didn't get there quick enough!

United Kingdom
Member (2012)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 9, 2012

Thanks for your efforts anyway! Much appreciated

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
I liked your version May 9, 2012

Ian Mansbridge wrote:
... If anyone knows the exact original English wording I would be extremely grateful.

The quotation in question is something along the lines of: "In the presence of beauty we are first hit by the impulse to grasp it and possess it, to give it more space in our life. It's as if we desperately want to say 'I am here, I've seen all of this'"

Or, in Italian: "Al cospetto della bellezza veniamo inanzitutto colti dall’impulso di afferrarla e possederla per darle maggiore spazio nella nostra vita. E’ come se volessimo disperatamente dire: “sono stato qui, ho visto tutto questo” "

Many thanks!

Ian

Your rendering looked OK to me, although I'd have used "struck" rather than "hit" (and maybe remove an "it" as well).
I've no idea what the original looks like, but as the writer is apparently Swiss, I'd have few qualms about offering my own version.

[Edited at 2012-05-09 13:27 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-05-09 13:29 GMT]

PS: I hasten to add that I am not denigrating the author's command of English (I enjoyed his Radio 4 contributions).

[Edited at 2012-05-09 13:31 GMT]

Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 09:39
Chinese to English
Should the client buy the book? May 9, 2012

I've run into a couple of these myself, and this one just got me thinking. Often we can find these quotations, but a properly rigorous process would probably have to involve purchasing the book to be sure. Has anyone had clients buy for them or reimbursed them for purchase of research materials? I assume it would only happen on large projects.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help required for Alain de Botton quotation

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search